Strange Goat using Head for a Shovel...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by FunnyRiverFarm, Mar 27, 2009.

1. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Yesterday, my husband plowed up the areas for our garden with the tractor. I had the goats out roaming and as soon as my wether saw the tractor he ran over to the fresh dirt my husband just plowed and starting rooting around and digging using the top of his head. I had never seen anything like this. He would paw out a little hole and the use the top of his head (like where his horns would be) to shove the dirt around. I don't know if he was raised with pigs or what...very odd behavior.

2. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    heehee :greengrin: I wish you had got some pics.

3. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    LOL, that would have been just to cute to see.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the unearthed dirt was probably cool feeling and he was enjoying the cool dirt cooling him off

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    What a dirty little boy...LOL .... so funny.... :ROFL:

6. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    That sounds like it would have been intersting....my little boy would probably eat the dirt....

7. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    He was raised with pigs who taught him this behavior... :ROFL:

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    He just wanted to HELP. :ROFL:

9. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I've seen mine doing this before, its very funny but not that unsual or anything to worry about.

The boys (bucks and wethers) seem to do it more that the girls. But then the boys seem to like pushing objects around more than the girls, too. My boy Padre was doing it yesterday when I let them onto a new paddock, and there's a little hill in there, he was digging in the hill lol

He has also discovered he can push his water tub around while it is full :roll:

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Mine do that very often....I've watched my pygmy buck literally beat his head on the bank above my yard, twists his head in the dirt and rips out roots with his horns, then he goes back to whatever he waqs doing before the bank caught his attention.

11. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Well, I'm glad mine's not the only one...LOL! I wasn't sure what to think! :)