"Strange" milk?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by ZipperDoo, Apr 24, 2010.

1. ZipperDoo

ZipperDoo Member

Apr 18, 2010
    So, I work sometimes at a nearby dairy, and they have had their last kid on the ground some time ago. They've been milking for about two months.

Recently, they've started getting a sort of oily, filmy, sticky, white sludge in their milk that for all accounts and purposes acts and seems like Crisco. I haven't had the courage to taste it given it's appearance and "unknown" nature.

Anyone know what this stuff is? Over at the dairy, they have no clue what it is, so I decided to research it for them.

2. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    Hmm......the only time i've really seen changes in the milk is when they have Mastitis

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    i would hope they would start checking ot see which doe it is that is producing this milk -- dont want to be selling somethign that could be an issue.

4. ZipperDoo

ZipperDoo Member

Apr 18, 2010
    I feel exactly the same way about it... But I don't think they're going to make the effort to pinpoint it. :\

They haven't thus far anyway and they really don't seem at all concerned about it. I'm curious if it's some kind of signal of a health issue in one of the does, is it normal? The head honcho at the farm is adamant it's just "cream"... but it's solid white, chunky, oily... And it doesn't look like any goat cream I've ever seen, and if it were just cream, wouldn't it be in all the milk all the time? Not just suddenly and recently?

I really doubt they'll listen to me, but I'm curious for my own knowledge. I already sanitize completely after touching their goats before touching mine (Perhaps I'm a little retentive...) so there isn't a contamination issue. I'm not eating any more of their cheese or anything either(I'm making my own here soon enough).

I'll see if maybe I can get a picture of it? It's solid white, it's just... gross. And it STICKS in this really oily gross sort of way. It takes dish soap to get it off your hands.

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    ew. try a mastitis test, can you take their temp? maybe they have an infection :(

6. ZipperDoo

ZipperDoo Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Given that I actually have some kind of knowledge about this stuff, they don't let me do anything. The head honcho is 100% sure it's "just cream". And we can't figure out which goat it is... Almost all their does have CAE, so feeling bags hasn't brought us much success pinpointing it either. :shrug:

They do have a CMT solution over there for testing mastitis, but the head honcho is convinced it's faulty and that the readings it offers don't mean anything, and that the readings are skewed because of the CAE.

I don't really work there regularly these days, but the employees that like and respect me wanted me to help them figure it out.

7. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    I have to say it saddens me to hear that the owner of the dairy is so dismissive of concerns. :sigh:

Attitudes like that are the main reason I got my own dairy goats. That way I know for sure what is in my food!

On the topic at hand though, could it be something in the milking system itself rather than in the milk? I mean...I assume these goats aren't milked by hand, so maybe something is being put in the line? I'm not much help lol...

8. ZipperDoo

ZipperDoo Member

Apr 18, 2010
    No, they are not milked by hand. But the pipeline is cleaned out thoroughly twice a day, and this chunky stuff only happens in one of the last 3 loads of 8 goats.

I completely agree with you about the attitude over there. It's why I quit. I have horror stories about this place leaking out of my ears. So... I got my own goats and am teaching myself how to make cheese because after this chunky milk issue over there, there is nothing that will get me to eat so much as a dollop of their stuff ever again. Kind of a "last straw" thing. >.o

9. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    All I can say is eeeeeewwwwww! And Good riddance to bad rubbish!

10. ZipperDoo

ZipperDoo Member

Apr 18, 2010
    My sentiments, quite accurately. lol :wink:

11. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    I'm by no means an expert, but I did grow up on a dairy (cattle) farm. I remember once when we got something that sounds like what you're describing and it was because of a small leak in the vacuum pump. It didn't show up in the first batch of cows - I suppose because it took that long to warm up (thin out) the pump oil? I know that my dad had to overhaul the pump and that resolved it. But, it was very oily-looking and the cream would clump up with it as it cooled.