The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
RussellP
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This seemingly Holstein doeling is the offspring of my pure Saanen buck and one of our Boer x Alpine does, pics attached. Seems like an odd coloration. What do ya'll think?
Her name is Oreo and she is a super healthy, energetic, and meaty goat. We have kept her and the other doelings from our buck, and they have a separate 4 acre lot of brush and browse to work on. With her athleticism and obvious intelligence, I am probably seeing the future herd queen. She has already taken over this lot of 6 same age, half sister doelings.

Attachments

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
she is SOO cute! maybe momma has a recessive black gene in there somewhere?

btw - I want to be the person in the last picture with all those goats on her. I counted 7 goats. looks like heaven!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Wow she is gorgeous !!

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
Saanens can carry a color gene, how the Sable breed came about. Saanen breeders didn't want to have colored Saanens registered with just a color designation and instead they created a separate herd book for them and called them Sables. For now, if you breed two Saanens and get a colored kid it is registered as Sable, starting in 2015 (if the rule doesn't get thrown out/changed at this year's convention) those kids will have to be registered as Experimental. The color could also come from the Alpine, kind of looks like a pied Alpine.

Very pretty kid either way :)

·
RussellP
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nchen7..........that is my youngest daughter Karli in a wheel barrel full of kids, she loves the goats, except the buck. She says he is a jerk! He pushes her around the whole time she is in the pasture. I don't know if you have been around a Saanen buck, but everything he does appears to be in slow motion. He just leans on her and bites at her clothes. It's pretty hilarious. She loves the animals, quite the juxtaposition from a varsity high school cheerleader.

Attachments

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
This seemingly Holstein doeling is the offspring of my pure Saanen buck and one of our Boer x Alpine does, pics attached. Seems like an odd coloration. What do ya'll think?
If I remember my limited genetics class, any time you are breed a single doe to a single buck you are bringing in something like 4 generations of sires and dams. Add to that the role that recessive genes and dominant genes play, and it's anybody's guess what the offspring will look like.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts