Strange Question - Need Some Advice

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by capriola-nd, Oct 27, 2009.

1. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I am going to be leasing one of our bucks out to a 4-Her. They are planning to pick him up on Sunday. She says they have H1N1 (swine flu) going around their house. . . so this is the odd question. Should I feel safe letting my buck go there?? I don't keep up on the news so am not sure all the ways this is spread.

Thanks for your help.

2. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    As far as I'm aware, H1N1 cannot be spread through livestock like goats. And anyways, it's really not that worse than the regular flu. I've known a few people who have had it and it really isn't that bad. None of them even needed medical attention.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I had the Swine flu (unconfirmed) and none of my goats got it :shrug:

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I had swine flu last week...really sick for two days, but now i'm just down to a cough and all my animals are fine. Like Epona said, I don't think it can be spread to livestock. You could maybe try googling it to see thouhg for sure??

5. Hey Guys I am a medical assistant so I actually can give a little advise this time. H1N1 can not be spread to your goats YET. The reason it is called the swine flu is because it was originally a swine virus, it then mutated so that it could be spread to humans from pigs, and now human to human. It would have to somehow mutate again to be spread to your goat.

6. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Actually- I just heard on the radio last week that at some fair ( i forget what state- minnesota michigan? somwhere out there (i.e. not new england :slapfloor: )) that pigs were confirmed stricken with the swine flu and that most likely it was passed from humans to the pigs at the fair. Isnt that a kicker? Let me see if I can find the article....

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I wouldn't worry about the goats. I got Swine flu also unconfirmed like Stacey's. I was down for about a week, but i'm better and back to normal now. And I don't need that darn vaccine. :D I also still hung out with the goats and they didn't get it.

8. Not sure if thats true? But don't believe everything you read either! :wink:

9. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

As a person who attracts all sorts of viruses from afar and is constantly sick----I have yet to catch the dreaded sickness.
    Not to jinx myself of course......anyway, I think it's highly inprobable to catch the swine flu from the goats,but you know, you should really be afraid of the owners themselves...if they have the swine flue in their house/area, they could be carriers.
    just a thought.
    tia.

10. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    That's probably the main reason I was concerned, the humans passing it to me when they come. . . Also, that if they are sick, will he get good care. Thanks for the advice everyone!

11. redsticker

redsticker Member

May 7, 2009
    SE Louisiana
    Our family had it and the thing that you might want to worry about is the owners, because my doctor said that people who have it are contagious longer than other flus, even after you stop having symptoms, you might still be spreading it. But as long as you avoid shaking hands, getting too close to their faces, etc. it should be ok.

12. crow

crow New Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Iowa
    They just stated on the news here tonight that h1n1 can be given to your pets, now Im not sure about goats but they showed some sick dogs and cats, claiming they were infected with h1n1 by their owners????????

13. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    There is one case of a cat who got it from its owner. I also have had H1N1 and am dealing with the lung issues now. None of my pets goats got sick. Even the pore doe who I got sick all over trying to milk her.

14. deineria

deineria New Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Huntington, WV
    What I heard on the radio today said there was just one case of animal swine flu outside of pigs and it was a family cat, I believe. I don't think I'd be concerned.

15. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    I would make sure to follow the basic precautions when someone is visiting your farm - especially if they have livestock of their own - make sure anyone that enters an area where your animals are puts bio-hazard covers on their shoes - before - they enter the premises. If you don't have any of them, plastic bags over their shoes w/masking tape to hold them on are better than nothing.

And hand sanitizer placed conveniently at each entrance, with a sign posted to "please use a generous amount" before proceeding.

I am a bit paranoid when it comes to contracting illnesses - more so with my herd than myself. No one should be offended by your requests to use these precations and if they are, I probably wouldn't play musical critters with them (i.e. lease them an animal, then bring it back in to your herd later).

16. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Melbourne, Fl.
    Until its called goatflu dont worry.... :lol: