Strange reaction to antibiotic injection

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Motherof5, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Motherof5

Motherof5 Member

Apr 17, 2019
    Kentucky
    So our little ones (Timmy and Eli) developed an upper respiratory infection in their windpipe. They are getting injections.
    Timmy no problem. Eli not so much. We give him the injection and in about 5min he start to swing his head and cry and fall over and the crawl on his honches. Then does this thing that looks like he is having a seizure. They first time this happened I scooped him up and brought him to the vet. By the time we got there he was standing and just looking around as if nothing was wrong. The vet just giggled at me.
    This time I was repaired for the reaction. Again he did the same. This time I just held him as he gave kisses and cried.
    After about 20min of him in my lap he just stood up and was ready to go outside.
    Any idea of what causes this? Is he just a baby freaking out or is it the reaction to the medication going through his system?

2. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    He is having an allergic reaction, or is just hypersensitive to the sting of medication. You can give him benedryl prior to the shot if you think he is compromised.

Motherof5 likes this.

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    What antibiotic are they getting? Are you giving Sub q or IM? If the reaction was quick I would say the medication stings..but if its a reaction 5 minutes after the injection I would be concerned its an allergic reaction. I have had babies really kick up the dust when I gave stinging meds..but normally happens by the time I set them down. Makes me feel so bad for them. A dose of benadryl before injecting may help as goatblessing suggested but if it is an allergic reaction, it can get worse.

toth boer goats and Motherof5 like this.
  4. Motherof5

Motherof5 Member

Apr 17, 2019
    Kentucky
    I'm not of the name. I'm not in front of it now to give an answer. Thanks for your reply. It injection is subderm

5. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    There are a few antibiotics that some have had reaction to. Some just sting alot. When you can look to see what it is..let us know.

6. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

We need to know which one you are giving.

toth boer goats likes this.
  7. Motherof5

Motherof5 Member

Apr 17, 2019
    Kentucky
    I just looked and it doesn't say

8. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can you take a picture of the label?

toth boer goats likes this.
  9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member