STRANGE SICKNESS

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by keren, Feb 5, 2009.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Got a weird one today. Was feeding this morning and I noticed Duskany, 4mth old angora show doe, was standing funny. Like a wether or buck stretched out to pee with her chin propped up on the fence. Watched her, she's walking funny too. Back end is wobbling all over the place on her. Sitting funny too, instead of up on her sternum she's propping herself half flat against the fence.

I wondered if she'd hurt her back, but no tenderness anywhere at all. Then I wondered if it was a neurological thing? :shrug:

We gave her antibiotics and thiamine, plus a multivitamin.

During the day, she got heat stroke :( not exactly what she needed, so we brought her into the air conditioning and she recovered from that very well, but still had the initial problem.

Any ideas what it could be??

2. sauncy

sauncy New Member

Feb 3, 2009
    KY
    Do you give selenium and E? We had a doe get sick last fall and after running several test, the vet (not very goat savy)and I decided it was from a selenium deficiency. My doe wouldn't hardly eat and her legs were trembling like she was cold and then she starting grinding her teeth. She would only eat bananas and then that stopped. I thought we were going to lose her and regretfully she seems to be pregnant and due next week. I am scared to death that the kids will be dead or worse she will be sick again. I treated with a small injection of BoSE (hate giving shots) and then followed with Sel and E gel the next day. Also gave a b complex injection couldn't get B12 around here. Hardly anyone here carries supplies for goats. I finally found a couple of bales of pure Alfalfa and that's what turned her around. If you haven't given sel and e lately it would be worth a try.

3. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    thanks for the idea, I inject selenium once per year, not sure I'd want to give her any more its so easy to overdose on ... :?

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh thats a strange one - did you say if she is pregnant or not?

5. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Does she walk like she's drunk?
    Check her eyes?? See if they are normal.
    She may have vestibular dz.
    It is common in old dogs.
    The eyes will go back and forth, they can't walk right
    or they will go in circles..the eye can be going wacko too,
    all over the place..it just depends on the severity.
    Hope that helps, oh and they do recover from it

6. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Stacey ... she's 4 mths old ... so nope not pregnant :greengrin:

Victoria, her eyes are normal. Basically her front half is fine, her back half wobbles all over the place. I remember once there was this beagle on Harry's Practice (which none of you probably understand - I dont know if that was broadcast overseas or not??) and she walked a similar way but so much more severe, and she (the beagle) had a genetic fault making her unable to properly control the back end.

But I have noooo idea what is causing this :sigh: I dont think she will make it to the shows, they start in 1.5 wks.

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Is it possible that she has a bite of some sort and now it is infected? Have you taken her temp? Spider bites can be really bad sometimes. Check her all over to see or feel if you can feel anything out of the normal. Could you massage her? Maybe a pinched nerve?

8. sauncy

sauncy New Member

Feb 3, 2009
    KY
    Keren How is you goat doing? Just wondering if you found out what was wrong with her. Hope she is better

9. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Still dont know what is wrong with her. She improved one day, basically normal, then had a down day, still down today. Just very quiet and not herself. Making a quiet grunting sort of noise like she's in pain but I can figure out where she hurts or why

10. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Hey Keren,
    I just had a thought about your goat she may have a pinched nerve.
    Can you feel any swelling along the spine?
    Will she let you move her back legs?
    See if she has full range of motion.
    Pull her back legs to stretch them out one at a time.
    Then take her head turn it to the right, gently, slowly all the way till her nose touches her back,
    then turn to the left doing the same.
    Take her back hoof, gently lift it and see if she places it, then do that with the other hoof.
    You want to try and see if she has any pain response at all. And if she knows where her body parts are. If she doesn't place her foot, then she may have nerve damage..
    Do you use Arnica on your animals?
    She could use a bunch if you can get it.
    I hope she is improving..
    I really look forward to hearing how she is.-

11. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Victoria, we thought of that. No swelling or pain anywhere, yes she has full range of motion.

Today she is back to square one, the strange stretching is back (that had gone)

I've noticed that she is worse during the day, and picks up a bit at night. Dont know why :shrug: if she was outside I would have just attributed it to the heat, but she's inside all day and night in the air con.

What is arnica for?

12. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Arnica Montana is a Naturapatic remedy for mustle soreness and bruising. I have been happily usung it for many years. If there is swelling the arnica will help it decrease.
    Do you think maybe she is getting into something?
    Perhaps mushrooms? Or some fungus?

13. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    My first thought is menigal worm or the deer worm. Treatment is injectable Ivomec injected and I beleive the treatment is like every 10 days for 3 treatments. I am gonna check on that.

Here is the link for help on how to treat

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/artic ... lworm.html

14. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Victoria, she's fully hand fed, being on my show team, pellets and lucerne chaff. No other access to moulds, weeds etc. I thought the same thing too. And its not the pellets and chaff because no one else on the show team is sick.

Thanks trob, this is from that link though

a) we are very low rainfall area
    b) we havent had a drop of rain since Dec. 13
    c) we have no deer within about 8 hours of us, wild or farmed

So I'm thinking that rules that out

She's still no good :( Dont think she'll be at Canberra show in two weeks