Strange Turn Of Events

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by goathiker, Jun 12, 2019.

1. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

So, this one little mouse I have has an aversion to staying in the colony cage. She would go in and out on her own terms. With the packing and such I went ahead and caught her so she didn't end up stranded in the storage unit.
    She can't escape the travel cage so, I just left her there.
    Then yesterday I noticed she was getting distinctly pear shaped.
    I pulled one critter trail out of the colony and set up an escape proof habitat for her. Good thing, today she has at least 9 teensy little pinkies.
    Don't ask me where she found a male house mouse. They aren't common here, this is deer mouse county. She must have really wanted babies.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Wow! You will have to show pictures when they are fluffy and cute!

3. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Okay silly me... I didn't really realize there are different species of wild mice in the U.S. (of course there are!) I suppose I just assumed domesticated mice, field mice, and that's it! So the different species cannot interbreed?

Would love to see a photo of this determined critter!

4. goathiker

No, interbreeding isn't possible. Plus wild and domesticated house mice come from Europe.
    I was able to sneak into her nest today.
    Still hairless but, 8 of the little buggers. The little runt was the size of a navy bean and the others about pinto bean size at birth. 0618190106b.jpeg 0618190104b.jpeg 0618190105.jpeg 0618190104a.jpeg

5. Trollmor

Trollmor Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    Cute story! I think she advertised for him: Sent out a smell message Princess wishing visit from nice Prince!! :)

So, now, what are you going to do with this Mouse Maths?

PetLover and NigerianNewbie like this.
  6. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Neat! They actually look cuter than expected with no hair.

groovyoldlady and SalteyLove like this.
  7. Dwarf Dad

Dwarf Dad Well-Known Member

She heard that you were moving and felt she needed company at the new place.lol

groovyoldlady likes this.
  8. Trollmor

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    I have heard the mother say that they are EXTREMELY cute exactly the way they are.

- And, being the mother, she must know, right?

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  10. goathiker

That depends on what they turn out to be. If they can be tamed I will keep them. If they turn out to be feral I know about an accessible field behind a hoarder's house.

11. Trollmor

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    I think it depends on what their mother tells them about you. Probably they will recognize your smell if you handle them often before they are agile enough to run away from you.

But, of course, I know very little about mice. Had one once, whom we replaced to the place it had got into the guinea pigs' hay. It seemed to be able to communicate, but when released, it bit my mother's hand!

:ponder::bookgoat::ponder: Hm, I wonder how to determine the sex of a mouse kid ... :ponder:

12. goathiker

Determining sex is easy, male rodents don't have nipples lol.
    No, their mother can't change them into domestic mice. They will always be hybrids no matter what.
    I'm not talking about being hand tame either. I'm talking about dying of stress from being caged.

The first one braved the limits of the nest today.
    0628191637.jpeg

13. Trollmor

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    Oh, they do grow quickly! But ...
    ! Do they not? Learnt something new! :):reading:

14. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Awwww the brave one is adorable!

15. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    That's the trouble, mice are cute. Even the evil ones that over run the old granary up at our old cow barn where my yearlings are. Big round eyes. Hard to trap and kill them, darn it!

groovyoldlady, goathiker and Trollmor like this.
  16. goathiker

Yeah, papa has taken up residence on my kitchen counter now. He's good, hiding just out of peripheral vision always. I'm amazed he's even here.

Dwarf Dad likes this.
  17. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    I love rodents, I used to raise mice when I was a kid because I lived in the city and couldn't have horses. Lol Learned a lot about genetics. I pains me to have to trap and kill the rats in my barn and house. Unfortunately, they are destroying my house and I must. Sigh

Cute babies.

18. Dwarf Dad

Dwarf Dad Well-Known Member

How will you get him to new home?

19. goathiker

It doesn't matter in the long run. The guy who bought this property is tearing the house down. The mouse will just have to be smart enough to run.

Dwarf Dad and groovyoldlady like this.