The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I will make this quick.
My goat, Winnie, has a strange udder formation. It’s almost folded in on itself, and the tissue around it is slightly hard. The area is right under the belly...
I have never seen this in a goat before, so I’m slightly worried. Winnie is a FF and is about 1 1/2 years old. I will send a pic ASAP.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, I give her udder a wash in ACV and water, every morning.
I have also noted that Winnie’s kids are super rough with her. Could this be part of the problem?

·
Super Moderator
32,290 Posts
Yes..pix would help...

Reactions: EJskeleton

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So this is her udder normally...

I will show a picture of her udder in the morning, when I go out to milk her. I think it only happens when her udder is full, but still... I’m worried it could be something that I should fix. Also, I just took that picture a second ago. It’s normal right now, but I still felt the strange tissue formation when I messaged the bag.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is still a strange dent line thing in the pic of her udder. It’s going straight through the center. She just got the line on her bag when she went into milk. Her udder was completely normal when I would massage it before she kidded.
P.s. I am raising her to be a milker, because it’s in her genes. Her mother died last year, but she was a star milker. It’s my goal for Winnie to be just as good of one also, but I’m not expecting her to be perfect right away.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One of my FF does had this when she first freshened, I could feel a gap between her underbelly and her udder tissue. I think it may be udder edema or simply a week fore udder attachment. I am curious to hear what others think!
Thank you! Do you know if there is a way to fix it? Or is it just bad luck?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also, I should mention that I have never seen her udder like this. I have milked her many times, and her udder has been completely normal. Until today, of course!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It would be helpful to get some pictures of her udder from the side, as well as the angle you've already posted. It could just be an udder conformation issue, which is not anything you can fix. Is her udder normally really full when you notice the issue? How long has she been in milk?
Alright. Her udder was full when I saw the issue. She produces about two courts on a good day, but as of lately she has been producing about one and a half.
She has been milking for about two to three weeks. Maybe four.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Here are the pictures from this morning...
What do you all think?
She wasn’t like this when she first started out, and she is now producing less, even though she is still nursing kids.
Ive only been milking her for about four weeks.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would say poor fore udder attachments, rear could use more strength as well.
Thank you. Do you know if this problem is genetic? Her dam had a fabulous udder. And I don’t want Winnies kids to get this.
Also, do you know if this problem just happens randomly? I have never seen her udder like this, but recently this is what it’s like...

·
Super Moderator
32,290 Posts
I agree..looks like her udder front has a "pocket". It's not smooth enough. Breeding to a buck with good fore-udder genetics cam help her kids have a better chance at smoother udder front. O had a nubian who was perfect in every way but had one teat larger than the other. Bred her to a good buck and her daughter was amazing! A good buck can fix lots of issues.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree..looks like her udder front has a "pocket". It's not smooth enough. Breeding to a buck with good fore-udder genetics cam help her kids have a better chance at smoother udder front. O had a nubian who was perfect in every way but had one teat larger than the other. Bred her to a good buck and her daughter was amazing! A good buck can fix lots of issues.
Thank you for that! I am not keeping her kids, but I want to sell the best. My Buck’s dam was an incredible milker also, so that’s why I was so sure that the kids won’t have this condition. However, because Winnie showed it later, I’m unsure how to tell that the kids have it...

·
Super Moderator
32,290 Posts
Kids won't show until they freshen

·
Super Moderator
32,290 Posts
Now since this is new ..could be some inflammation in the front are? How about a pic from behind?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts