Strange udder problem- one side stopped producing

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by puckles, Aug 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. puckles

puckles Galloping Gertie's Goat Milk Soap

Apr 2, 2015
    northern Nevada
    One of our 3 1/2 year old does had huge healthy twin boys this year. We sold one as a buckling and one is still with her as a wether. when the first one left I was milking her out once a day to help her adjust to the lower need for milk production. She seemed to even out and had her boy with her to drink the rest. Now last week I noticed that one side of her udder is way smaller and yesterday I got her up on the stand to check her out- one side producing normally and the other side seems to be completely empty and has gone dry. I know the big kid has been drinking from the full side as I watch him do it! The udder seems to be fine and doesn't look or feel inflamed or swollen in any way. This is her 3rd batch of kids and we never had a problem with her udder before. Is there anything I should be worrying about? Also, we had a very bad plague of tiny biting flies this summer that were attracted to some of the does udders. Can they spread disease?

We do have another goat with mastitis who has been completely separated for weeks and they don't come in contact. Should I have her milk tested at the vet? How would I test the dry side?

No matter how long you have goats, it is always a learning adventure!

odieclark likes this.
  2. singinggoatgirl

singinggoatgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2016
    the deep south
    I know when there is only one kid they can get uneven and dry up on one side if that kid only drinks from one side. If she isn't inflamed or in distress, I personally wouldn't worry about it, but hopefully someone more expert than me will chime in soon.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

It will dry up if not used.

4. puckles

puckles Galloping Gertie's Goat Milk Soap

Apr 2, 2015
    northern Nevada
    Thanks! That's what I was thinking it was, but wanted to make sure there wasn't some more serious issue at hand. Now that I think of it, the buckling was her first kid we ever sold, so the first time the nursing would have been uneven. I guess he just really likes the one teat!

odieclark likes this.