Stressed Doe

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Realfoodmama, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    So I have been struggling with my Sable, Eek since she delivered a few months ago. She seems incredibly thin, especially compared to my Nubian who is a bit of a chunk.

Eek suffered a hoof injury during pregnancy and was being pushed around a lot by my other goat, so she was very thin when she delivered. Since then she has been producing about a gallon a day or more and is a FF. She is about 14 months old.

She was wormed and was given a CD/T booster about two months before she delivered.

I started milking regularly when when her kids where a month old. Her grain intake increased quite a bit and I also tried adding BOSS to the mix to put some weight on her. Instead she ended up getting pretty loose stools, so I backed off on the BOSS and gave her a few doses of Probios. Everything seemed back to normal.

Two days ago I sold her kids. While she hasn't gone off feed or anything, her production has gone down by about two cups a day since they left and her stools seem to be a bit off again - little pellets still, but they seem to have a bit of mucous in them.

I've attached some pics I took this morning and I am taking a fecal to the vet today in order to get her tested for worms, but I would like any and all opinions/thoughts on what might be going on.

I am fairly new to goats and I am sure that whatever is going on is partially due to my management so I'd like to hear from people more experienced. All suggestions about things I could do are appreciated. Thanks in advance everyone!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of her coat close up:
    [​IMG]

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH wow she is thin. She is also Cooper def. She needs some cooper pretty bad. Is she getting loose mineral? If so what kind.

As for the loose stool and increasing grain. The will get loose stool if the grain is increased to fast. Do it slowly, and give her that BOSS. She does need that.

I would also give her wet beet pulp with her grain. Also offer her molasses water so she will drink more and that in turn will help with the milk production.

She needs to have free choice hay at all times.

She is a very sweet looking girl. :greengrin:

3. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    I am curious what makes you think she needs copper? Her coat? She does get access to a loose mineral, she loves it and sucks it up. Can you tell me what some signs of copper deficiency are?

I give her a 1:1 mineral made by Ranchway feeds. Here is the link. http://www.ranch-way.com/images/E008040 ... INERAL.pdf

It is the only mineral I can find locally.

The rest of her diet consists of a sweet feed (16% protein) free access to alfalfa hay and occasional browse - which is mostly alfalfa and sometimes my apple tree....

I can try to pick up some beet pulp (pretty sure the feed store carries it). Is that mostly for weight gain?

4. kubileya

kubileya New Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Laurel, DE
    I've been working on fattening up my little doe. What seems to be working is adding a capful of corn oil and some BOSS to her grain, plus lots of treats. I give her Dumor horse cookies which contain wheat, corn oil, molasses and wheat germ plus they have calcium, copper & selenium in them.

I hope it's just stress that is causing your gal to drop weight. She is a very pretty and elegant looking doe. I imagine her loss of production since weaning might be stress-related, also. Weaning is often a difficult time. :hug:

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I had several goats that were getting a coat not quite as bad as hers, and I gave them cooper Bolus and they look great. One sign of cooper def, is a rough wiry looking coat.
    I do not feed Ranchway Mineral because it does not have to proper mineral ratio for me. I do however have my RanchWay order the SweetLix Meatmakes mineral for me. RanchWay is a authorized distributor for them (at least here in Colorado). It should have a 2:1 ratio for Calcium to phosphates, to help prevent UC Here are a couple links on Cooper

http://www.saanendoah.com/copper1.html

http://tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2 ... iency.html

Beet Pulp can be bought at most feed stores. It comes in 50# bags.

I always buy the shredded. It is a lot easier for me to soak it and it soaks a lot faster then the pellets.

I also add Healthy coat to some of my goats grain. It helps to gain weight and helps the coat.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your going to check her fecal ...have her checked for cocci as well.... with her weight loss... it could be cocci...in mature does ...rapid weight loss despite of how you feed.... may be what is causing it..... :hug:

7. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    I will ask the vet if they can do a cocci test when I drop the fecal this afternoon. They said to specify a fecal float, rather than smear, so hopefully that will get the results I need?

I will also check with the feed store about the minerals and the beet pulp. I know they have pellets, not sure on the shredded. Hopefully they can do a special order.

And to be honest, she has put on weight since delivery...her spine was WAY obvious (you could feel the individual bones) the first few weeks after the kids were born. Now, even though you can feel her spine you can't feel her individual vertebrae. She just doesn't seem to be putting on any MORE weight.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That is good... :thumb:

Wow... your poor girl ...must of been pretty down...... if she was even thinner... :hug:

9. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    So the vet just called and said they didn't find ANY signs of parasites in her fecal.

They tested for Cocci and other worms and didn't see anything.

So I guess now I am going to have to work on her diet. I talked to the feed store and they carry beet pulp pellets so I can add those. They are not able to order Sweetlix or any other loose goat minerals aside from the one I am currently getting.

I will also try to introduce the BOSS back into her diet slowly. I checked for the horse cookies, but I didn't see them. She gets fresh alfalfa from our yard from time to time and I have tried giving her other treats (apples for example). She is super picky, however, and has a tendancy to turn her nose up at things.

Any other suggestions for dietary additions are appreciated :)

10. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I live in New Mexico too, south of Albuquerque. My vet is a dairy goat expert, he has had them for 30 years and shows all over every year. He uses the Ranchway minerals. He says we are not copper deficient in New Mexico and suspects people are killing their goats with copper boluses. He thinks they should only be considered in known copper deficient areas and never routinely. He says there aren't so many of those in the US.

I know this is a touchy subject, but copper toxicity has no symptoms until it is too late to save the goat.

Try the food suggestions, and see how it goes. Her coat issues might be from stress, and it could be shedding from winter, and some goats just have a rougher coat. She just lost her kids too. So give her a little time, I bet she will be better. It's great she has no worms or cocci.

Jan

11. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    Wow, that is great to hear about New Mexico!

I know that soil is so different here and I have been worried about giving BOSS because of the (generally) high selenium levels in our area.

I will definitely focus on her diet!

12. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    I had a first freshening doe this year who nearly died after contracting a bad infection the day after she kidded. I wrote about it at length in another thread. As a result of her fever, most of her hair fell out and she was nothing but skin and bones. She had to be hand fed tree leaves, hay, carrots and anything I could think of to keep her rumen active. I reasoned that fat embodies about 9 times the energy that carbohydrates have by weight, so I fed her the mixture below four times a day while she was actively sick and twice a day after her fever broke and she was on the mend. She got sick April 12th. She has gained all her weight back, eats like a horse and her coat is nearly all grown in dark, slick and glossy. I mixed the fat in bulk and fed about 2 tbs. each time, using an old probios syringe to give it to her. She sucked it down like candy.

2 cups corn oil (not cheap veg oil and not canola, corn oil)
    1/4 cup corn syrup
    1/4 cup molasses

I made sure she had access to baking soda and probiotics every few days to keep her rumen balanced and watched her poo carefully, she never had a problem with it. She was also getting Fortified B complex shots every other day and Sweetlix Caprine Magnum Milk minerals along with her alfalfa. For the longest time she wouldn't touch grain. About three weeks ago she started wolfing her grain down, so I backed off on the oil feeding and eventually stopped. She doesn't like beet pulp or BOSS, so those were never an option. It worked like a charm. Your mileage may vary.

13. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
  14. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    ElChivito thank you for the link - I will definitely check it out. I know the state of NM has high selenium levels in general but it would interesting to check county by county.

Just an update -

I have added beet pulp and BOSS into her grain in the morning and evening, and she gets beet pulp "snacks" a few times a day.

Her coat is definitely improved and her energy level has skyrocketed - I was watching the girls play last night and she was running around, head butting her companion, jumping up on the fences, etc.

I suspect she is on the mend and she seems to be putting on weight slowly. If she hasn't gained a noticeable amount by the end of the summer I will have to add some corn oil or something to her diet otherwise she'll be too cold this winter. But in general she seems to be doing well!

Thanks for all your help :D