The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Goats of da UP
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Angora goat Bailey did NOT take today's shearing well at all. Last time I sheared her, this past spring, I used a set of bridle path clippers just to get it ton. Tons of oil and time later, she was nekkid. She fought very little with those clippers, and mostly laid still the entire time with no pressure to hold her. But they weren't meant for that job, and struggled.

So today, when she met the Shearmaster shears, she went ballistic. I couldn't even hold her and clip at the same time, which is what I did when she did the bit of flailing last time. This was a full out BATTLE to get her done. The entire time she lashed, kicked, threw her head around, and screamed. The clippers were not hot, I felt them. Yes, they were noisy. But she completely lost her snot is comparison. When I tried going back to the bridle path clippers (who were close to burning out from the last time anyway). No dice, she did not calm down.

Because of her intense struggles, the shearing did not go fast. I tried, but between holding her down and getting kicked, and trying to pull her skin taunt while getting kicked so I didn't nick her, yea. What the heck happened that was so different? It was ridiculous. By the end, my partner and I were exhausted and immensely frustrated, and Bailey was shaking and panting. In fact, I actually stopped early. She looks like a lion, because I did not do her from the neck up.

I cannot get someone to come out and shear her. Nobody WILL come out for a single animal. Nor will they let me bring her to them for biohazard reasons. So I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to getting her shorn.

So, what do I do? Hog tie her? DRUG HER?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I shear all my goats on a goat stand. It keeps them still and gives me both hands to work with. They also get treats during the process so that they associate the stand with treats.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts