strings in poop?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by tallgirl, Dec 8, 2009.

1. tallgirl

tallgirl Member

Oct 14, 2009
    I have a 3 mos old kid that wasn't looking too good. took a fecal in to the vet and turns out there is quite a bit of cocci eggs. Vet gave me corid- gave the first dose last night, this morning the berries are looking a little more wet, with little silky threads among them (The poop was normal before) Anyone know what's going on? Thanks I'm new to all this.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sounds like a little mucus in the stools possibly

3. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Could be some of the mucosa lining from the colon.... keep your eye on it and it should clear up. Corid is strong stuff so hard to tell exactly what is going on.

4. tallgirl

tallgirl Member

Oct 14, 2009
    should I diluate it more? I used less water than was recomended on the bottle, but not as strong as others here have recomended-(1/4 cup corid mixed with 3/4 cup water, 6 cc for 5 days. also, do people get this?Thanks for your help.

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Cocci is not contagious to people, it is specific to animals and each specie has it's own strain of the organism. Goat coccidia cannot be given to chickens and chicken coccidia cannot be passed to goats :greengrin:

Most times, when diarrhea comes to a stop, it tends to take a day or 2 of seeing mucousy stool before the pellets truly form.
    Provide plenty hay and water and make sure you continue the entire course of treatment, even if your kid feels better and has normal poop.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I give corid straight no dilution - 1cc per 4lbs ( I then flavor it but the actual medicine amount is still equivalent to the 1cc per 4lbs)

Coccidiosis is actually a parasite that lives off the thiamine in the goats body -- as Liz said humans to my knowledge can not get cocci. The way goats get it is through the stools of an infected goat

7. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Humans can get a form of cocci. Coccidia parasites are also encountered in humans, in the form of Cyrptosporidium and is transmitted in the fecal matter of cattle