Stroke?in 8 month old

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by dobe627, Dec 31, 2010.

1. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    First let me wish you all a happy and healthy new years, people and animals alike. Now to my "problem". I will start at beginning, and any guesses are welcome. 2 saturdays ago this happened to Dunn my 8 month old pygmy/fainter x. He is in an 8x10 pen with brooks (twin sister) his mom, 2 year old sister and an 18 year old wether. I have never seen or heard any of them fighting(only pen that doesn't) We had been in the barn all day-dh unloading hay and I was in the rabbit room doin things so all day was quiet in the pens. Feed grain at 4:30 and about 10 mins later hear a goat bawing as if in pain. Find Dunn laying normally but bawling, first thought that could happen that fast bloat. Get him up rubbing his belly while hubby goes to get baking soda/tums in my grooming shop. Although didn't really seem bloated did baking soda/ tums. Seemed ok but not 100%. Checked a little while later(30mins?) and he was almost star gazing so thought [email protected]#t polio. Had thiamine gave him 4 ccs. Kept an eye on him all night seemed so/so. Next am limping on a front leg. So thought maybe he did get hit. Few days later he was weak in back end and showing signs of neuraligical damage(when hind legs turned under took a few minutes to right. And when he walked almost pushed with his back legs) He was never really down just weak. All vitals are normal, eyelids great color. He is getting better but still weak in hind end. I have been walking him everyday and making him run a little. He is improving but I just don't know what happened. Vet is out right now, Dh's work really slow( boss said doesn't know when he can pay him). I have alot of meds on hand( including banamine which I thought about giving. Any ideas?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Is he still star gazing? One shot of thiamine wouldn't be enough for treatment for polio.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Let us know what the vet says.... :( :hug:

4. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    No He only had the stargazing episode that one time and not 100% sure that it was even that or just pain. So didn't continure thiamine. As mentioned vet not being called. Money way to tight(Dh's boss not sure when he can pay us). Should mention he is peeing and pooping just fine and doesn't seem to be in any pain. Temp has been good too. Temps in 50 today so everyone out in pasture took Dunn out too and as mentioned he is improving. I am keeping an eye on him so no one hits him but all has been ok. Just if he gets running too fast back legs almost give out( not enough that he's gone down). This one has me baffled. Other then the back legs being weak he's a normal acting 8 month old

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    has he had selenium recently?

6. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    Nope, just whats in feed and I forget the percentage. TSC is closed today too. Can't remember if I still have some or not?? Have to go out and look.

7. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Ugh. It does sounds as though he may have injured his back? I'd keep up with some thiamine -- b/c I always think of that first when they seem "neuro." I might also add some dexamethasone; if there is pressure on his spine, it would help reduce swelling. Banamine may help with inflammation as well.. I agree with Stacey too --

I'd prolly treat with Vit B orally for 5 days and 1 cc of dex. if no dex, banamine 1x day at 1 cc per 100 lbs.

8. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    I was reading Storey's Guide to Raising meat Goats tonight, as we are having some issues ourselves. I ran across Meningeal worm (deer worm)(page 176) and was reading the symptoms, and thought of this thread. You may want to find out if this is the cause if he doesn't seem to be improving. Just a thought I could very well be wrong and hope that I am.

9. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    I did think meningeal worm because vets pretty sure that's what got into my llama a few years back. ALthough they have never been together( llamas still alive just walks a little funny, but his progressed over a few weeks. Where as Dunns was in minutes. He is improving daily. And a standerby may not even notice but knowing my goats I do. Will try the dex and vit b, but just curious as to why the vit b? He's eating normally and all that. I forgot about the dex and was a little nervous to use the Banamine as it was given to me for the horses( but never used).

10. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    The Vit B is produced in the rumain(sp?) and it won't hurt him might just give him a little bit of a jump start, I know I try to give it to mine anytime we use Antibiotics, also going to give them some after we worm.