The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Love them goats!
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 10x10 barn, houses a Pygmy and a Nigerian Dwarf, and has a dirt floor.
Recently I've noticed that the urine odor is so strong, even though the window are left open at all times.
Especially in the morning, after they've been locked inside all night.

I'm especially concerned, as I'll be bringing home a new kid in July, and want to avoid any respiratory issues.

I've used both barn lime and Sweet PDZ...neither has really helped. :confused:
Is there anything else I can use on dirt that will neutralize the odor?

If not, my next question would be...what about new dirt and stall mats??

·
Registered
617 Posts
I would think lime would help but its not,you could put in new dirt,are you using anything to soak up any urine ,sawdust or hay bedding ,hopefully someone will have an answer

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
My 10x10 barn, houses a Pygmy and a Nigerian Dwarf, and has a dirt floor.
Recently I've noticed that the urine odor is so strong, even though the window are left open at all times.
Especially in the morning, after they've been locked inside all night.

I'm especially concerned, as I'll be bringing home a new kid in July, and want to avoid any respiratory issues.

I've used both barn lime and Sweet PDZ...neither has really helped. :confused:
Is there anything else I can use on dirt that will neutralize the odor?

If not, my next question would be...what about new dirt and stall mats??
What kind of bedding are you using?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Have you tryed spraying bleach?

Or taking up a layer or 2 of dirt up?

Horse stall mats<3333 im saving up for some!

show goat/lamb equipment
www.Facebook.com/wickedshowchains
Don't spray bleach on areas heavily soaked in urine!!

Chlorine bleach + ammonia = Chlorine gas!

My sister works in a dive diner and went to clean the men's room (normally the male cook's job, or so he said) because of a complaint about the pee smell. Not knowing about bleach and ammonia she sprayed the area with bleach water and ended up in the hospital for minor burns to her throat and lungs. Luckily it was a well ventilated room with a good fan.

·
728 Posts
I put peedz down it is for horse stalls but this year no smell during kidding when they stay there over night! I will get a picture of the bag for you, I bought it last year and still have a ton. I put it down when I change the straw ever 2-3 days and if I notice any smell I sprinkle it down!

·
Super Moderator
59,755 Posts
You would need to strip out a couple layers of dirt before putting new down. The other thing you could do is get limestone. I use clean limestone and you have to keep replacing it every so often.

·
Love them goats!
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I haven't been putting bedding on the dirt since the weather's been warmer.
They have a sleeping shelf that I cover with straw and used hay, but I rake that out every day.
Should I be covering the dirt, will that keep the odor down?

·
14,802 Posts
I'd try putting something on the spot where they like to pee - some kind of bedding.
We have a small barn, and put my kids 4-H goats inside their stalls every night. It gets stinky with urine too, so I put the lime down and make sure air gets in there by leaving doors opens. I always put wasted hay down in the spots they prefer to pee in, so it can help soak it up. After we clean we put down Lime especially if it's really wet or real stinky.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Should I be covering the dirt, will that keep the odor down?
Lime or PDZ can only neutralize if they come into contact with the urine, try using the lime or PDZ in conjunction with bedding. The bedding helps keep the urine from soaking into the dirt, and the lime/PDZ can then neutralize it better. I put down lime, then rebed. The only time I have a problem is when the girls "live" in the sheds - aka extended rain/blizzard.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
I personally like the new dirt and stall matt idea , not so much the bleach idea , lolol
I have stall mats and we love them. You will have to make sure the ground is level when putting them down. Also , you will have to take them out maybe once a year and clean up the "urine blocks" that get in between the matts. No big deal IMO.
And I would be using some sort of bedding on the dirt for now so it can soak up the urine. My husband wants a dirt floor in the new barn and I want stall matts. I think they are well worth the investment.
Animals are off the ground which is always a good thing and it keeps them warmer IMO.

·
Registered
647 Posts
The best thing I ever did for my old barn was to put down a layer (about 3" thick) of pea gravel. Then I put sweet PDZ and their bedding on top of that. It drains SO much better than the dirt floor did. In fact, I was just working on getting a load to put down in my new barn since I've had just the dirt floor in there for the last couple of months since I moved the goats, and the urine odor is terrible.

·
1,524 Posts
I have a dirt floor in my goat stall and it gets pretty urine soaked. I spray it with white vinegar and let it dry, then I put baking soda down on the floor. That helps to cut the odor.

I have used the enzyme stuff you get for spraying in the house to get rid of animal odors. Its expensive for large areas but it works well.

After I do any of the above, i let it dry and then cover it with dry pine shavings.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Out of the box thinking,

You have a 10x10 barn. Can you move the barn?
Yes! If it's on skids and you have the ability to move it every so often it's a great solution. Makes it 200% easier to clean (we just use tractor with bucket attachment) and I think it's good for disease/worm prevention too.

·
Love them goats!
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Moving the barn is not an option, Erik L. :( That would make it too easy, right? ;)
Where it is, is where it stays.

While I think on this, I have some questions about the different options.

Stall mats: Can you put straw on them, or do you leave them bare?

Pea gravel/lime stone: How hard is it to clean the bedding/straw from that?
With the dirt floor I have now, I just rake it all out.

Stall Dry: Is that the same as Sweet PDZ?
I haven't seen Stall Dry at TSC. :confused:

I have used the enzyme stuff you get for spraying in the house to get rid of animal odors. Its expensive for large areas but it works well.
I was looking at something called Bye Bye Odor on the Hoegger's website.
Has anyone tried that?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts