Struggling Geriatric Goat

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Kara Moore, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Kara Moore

Kara Moore New Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice. My mom had been keeping my 18 year old Pygmy wether at her house and last Tuesday (12/26) she said he was down & didn't want to get up. She checked on him the next morning 12/27 and he was still down. I drove to her house that morning and picked him up. He was very cold and dehydrated, since he had not been able to get up for water. Before all of this, on Christmas I was checking on him and noticed very thick,crusty skin and hair loss. He had a small amount of hair loss on his back a few months ago but otherwise seemed okay. Anyway, since Wednesday last week he's been down. He is eating, drinking, urinating and defecating normally. I have been giving him nutrient drenches and gave him a 5 day treatment of Tylan 200 because he was sounding congested. I have been helping him up and he can stand on his own but still cannot stand on his own. He gets very tired after standing and breathes pretty heavily for awhile after being up. He doesn't seem in a ton of pain but it's hard for me to tell. Anyone have suggestions that may help?

2. ArborGoats

ArborGoats Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    At 18 he is a very lucky well taken care of old man. A lot could be going on, do you have a current picture to help give us an idea of his condition?

Kath G. likes this.

3. Kara Moore

Kara Moore New Member

Jan 3, 2018
    You can kind of see how his belly has hair missing, it was pretty red and flaky but doing better. I have sprayed Vetrycin on it and have been letting him lay on his side to let it air out. On the other picture you can kind of see his chest and the flaky skin.
    Nathan.JPEG Nathan2.JPG

4. Kara Moore

Kara Moore New Member

Jan 3, 2018
    nathan5.JPEG Nathan3.JPG
    nathan4.JPG
    Second picture is his neck and you can see the thick crusty build-up. Third picture is the inside of his front leg. He is also missing hair around both eyes and has a patch of thick crusty skin under his chin.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

He has mites. You really need to treat for mites. I would also scrape the crust off as much as possible and put NuStock on his skin.

Kath G., Lstein and SalteyLove like this.
  6. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    What is his rectal temperature?

The crusty skin and hair loss is likely either mites or zinc deficiency but probably unrelated to his current condition.

EDIT: sorry I missed the photos before responded, yes mites! Injectable ivermectin would treat the best but does sting. Nustock ointment will definitely help as well like she said.

7. Kara Moore

Kara Moore New Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Would mites explain the weakness though?

I will start treating him for mites. He's never had them in his 18 years of life and the sheep he was living with at my mom's doesn't have signs of mites. I am willing to try anything to help him though.

8. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

His age plays a big factor but that looks like a pretty bad case. Mites can make him weak and anemic. A fecal to include coccidia would also be in order. It certainly is possible for multiple things to be going on.

SalteyLove likes this.
  9. Kara Moore

Kara Moore New Member

Jan 3, 2018
    He hasn't been itching at all, his skin just is flaking off a lot and he very crusty in some places. That's why I was thinking mineral deficiency but I will try ivermectin and NuStock.

10. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I had a goat that started to get crusty, flaky skin and hair loss in his old age (although nothing this severe). It happened during the spring of his last two years of life and I suspected mineral deficiencies even though I was doing whatever I could to keep his minerals available and balanced. I gave zinc supplements for a while but I'm not sure they really helped. One of the things that I think happens in old age is that the body no longer absorbs and processes minerals and nutrients effectively and that leads to other break-downs that speed the aging process along. It's quite possible your fellow can recover and get a little more time, but prepare yourself for the possibility that his age may have caught up to him. Best of luck.

luvmyherd likes this.
  11. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    The labored breathing is concerning though, I would definitely get a rectal temperature even though he is inside with a heat lamp.

12. ArborGoats

ArborGoats Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    I have seen once on a 16 year old whether and heard of a couple more that ended up with a low thyroid problem that made their hair patchy, and made them more prone to infections, from the pictures it does look like mites are more probable but old timers can have all sorts of metabolic disorders as their bodies start having trouble.

B Complex couldnt hurt just to try and give him a boost and vitamin C

SalteyLove likes this.
  13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  14. TexasGoatMan

TexasGoatMan Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Dekalb, Texas
    Good Luck and God Bless !

toth boer goats likes this.