Struggling with a decision *poll added*

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by ProctorHillFarm, Apr 14, 2009.

  1. No

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes

    100.0%
  1. ProctorHillFarm

    ProctorHillFarm New Member

    So I have a teeny dilema here-
    Mariah kidded last week with twin bucklings- I really wanted a doe from her...

    The sire to these kids is deceased (though we have his twin brother here- they are a bit different in type) I havent seen their dams udder with a 12 hour fill but she has some pretty good strengths, and the pedigree on these boys is very very nice.
    So my problem is- I offered the buck kids to my wether reservations- but Im having huge second thoughts on the first one. He is just stunning.
    I hinted to the people that I was having a hard time selling this boy as a wether and asked if they were interested in a different kid, so we will see what they say.
    I really dont NEED another buck- but feel like I may kick myself for wethering this boy

    He is linebred on Kingwood- and his dam is the littermate brother to Sunnydale Farm DAX Jumanji who is a herd sire at Lost Valley.

    Paternal granddam is an AR doe 2*D who appraised at E and milked almost 5 lbs on a one day test and has also received A best udder and best of breed win. She is a daughter of MCH Fairlea Heidi who won best of breed and best udder at 10 years old.
    Maternal Granddam is a *D doe who also has several Best Udder Wins.

    Thoughts?

    Here he is today at one week old

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I also noticed this moonspot on his bum....
    [​IMG]

    Here is a link to his pedigree: http://www.proctorhill.com/thistlexsunnydalemariah.htm
    Sire: http://www.proctorhill.com/thistlepage.htm
    Dam:http://www.proctorhill.com/sfmariahpage.htm


    Honest opinions and critiques would be very helpful ( I know I dont have pictures of the dams udder yet- I will work on those and that will be the final decision factor once I see a 12 horu fill)
     
  2. SDK

    SDK New Member

    Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    Re: Struggling with a decision

    oooo!!! :love: :love: :love:

    you can send him here and i can tell you if he's worth keeping or not.... no guarantee's on returns!
     

  3. ProctorHillFarm

    ProctorHillFarm New Member

    Re: Struggling with a decision

    Haha! Oh your a big help! :slapfloor:
     
  4. SDK

    SDK New Member

    Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    Re: Struggling with a decision

    lol I do my best
     
  5. deenak

    deenak New Member

    296
    Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    Re: Struggling with a decision

    He is beautiful!!!
     
  6. 4hmama

    4hmama New Member

    467
    Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    Re: Struggling with a decision

    Have the potential owners put down a deposit or signed a contract of any kind? If not, simply explain that you decided to keep the boy as a replacement for his dad and help them find another wether. Sounds simple, although I know it isn't!
    Handsome fellow! Good luck!
     
  7. ProctorHillFarm

    ProctorHillFarm New Member

    Re: Struggling with a decision

    They put a deposit for the first wether available- and yes signed a contract- but the contract does state that we have the right to retain any kid at any time- and if a suitable replacement isnt found then we will refund the deposit- so we are within terms there

    but I do feel bad about that- its a 4h girl, shes been waiting for a doeling to be born for eons too (we are having ALL bucks!!!!!)

    I guess my big dilemna is wether to keep him or not

    Based on pedigree and general appearance would you? :scratch:
     
  8. SDK

    SDK New Member

    Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    Re: Struggling with a decision

    yes.. yes i would..
     
  9. ProctorHillFarm

    ProctorHillFarm New Member

    I added a poll for kicks-
    if you pick no, could you say why?

    Again looking for honest critiques/opinion :help:
     
  10. toth boer goats

    toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes.....I think you should keep him ......he is a very nice all the way around...and with his pedigree ....yea :greengrin:
     
  11. capriola-nd

    capriola-nd New Member

    Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Um, I can't really answer the poll until seeing his dam's udder. Based on pedigree, I'd keep him. It's really hard to judge conformation when they are so young but I am super picky, so start judging probably way too early!! ;) It's probably the hair, but I'd like to see a little more height and width in the escutcheon area (they call it the same as a doe, right?)

    I'm gonna go check out Thistle's brother. . .
     
  12. capriola-nd

    capriola-nd New Member

    Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I really like Thistle's brother. . . hairy boy but he looks nice. . . I am a sucker for gold and white goaties though! :D
     
  13. StaceyRosado

    StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would keep him - if you have the space. If he doesnt mature out like you want you can wether him at a later date and sell him. Do you have any other does bred to the deceased buck?
     
  14. ProctorHillFarm

    ProctorHillFarm New Member

    We only have one doe left to kid that was bred to him.

    We had 5 does bred to him that kidded already-(Mariah included in that number) the other 4 I wouldnt have kept a buck from for one reason or another, udder, pedigree, general conformation....
    Im hoping to keep a doeling from the one doe thats left to kid by him though.

    Thats a thought Stacey :thumbup:


    Im still curious as to why people are saying "not" to keep him.
    wether its pedigree, conformation, or some other reason :shrug:
    But no one wants to say why I guess. :)
     
  15. RunAround

    RunAround New Member

    Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    The lines are good, but It's hard to say without seeing some good pictures of the dam's udder. Thats what I go by.

    But i've been wethering a lot of my kids since I think there are a lot of bucks out there already and wethers are easier to sell. he he he Actually, Stacey is going to have the first buck kid with my herd name. lol
     
  16. ProctorHillFarm

    ProctorHillFarm New Member

    oh yes- of course- and that will be the deciding factor for this boy too- pretty with good lines or not.

    the kids are only a week old- so Im not seperating them for 12 hours just yet, I guess I was curious if he was worth a second thought or not. :)
     
  17. RunAround

    RunAround New Member

    Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    This doe is a FF right? If so I would fill her up for a couple weeks, once the kids are old enough, and see what you think of her udder then. So far I have found it very hard to judge a FF udder in the first couple weeks. Things about their udder seem to change. If it were me i'd ask Joanne what she thinks. She will give you an honest opinion on it. :)
     
  18. 4hmama

    4hmama New Member

    467
    Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    I'd keep him. If you are within your contract parameters, it's going to be a WHOLE lot easier to sell him later - if he doesn't turn out like you hope - than to see him as a grown wether and say "what did I do" or "why didn't I....". That whole should'a would'a could'a thing. Good luck making a decision.
     
  19. ProctorHillFarm

    ProctorHillFarm New Member

    Shes a second freshner- she had a stillborn single her first- but was milked at Lorenes for the summer

    Yep already sent Joanne an email :)
     
  20. Sweet Gum Minis

    Sweet Gum Minis New Member

    Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    He certainly looks nice, but I'd need to see his dam, sire, dam's udder and sire's dam's udder to determine. That's just me. If you feel his dam is an excellent doe with a stunning udder and his sire was nice and his sire's dam was excellent with a stunning udder too then I don't see any reason why not to.