Stubborn Goat

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by GoatHerder94, Feb 28, 2011.

1. GoatHerder94

GoatHerder94 New Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Hello! I have a question for everyone out there that knows about Boer Goats.... I have an eight month old doeling who absolutely WILL NOT develop a hay belly. She eats grain like crazy, seems healthy, but she doesn't have the trademark bulge she used to after she had a dose of lice. I treated the herd, and her scabs are beginning to heal, but she wont gain any weight. I also wormed her as a precaution.
    Does anyone know how to put weight on a goat?
    thanks,

Meg :ponder:

2. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Not sure if you are talking about just getting her back into condition or not but a "hay belly" is very undesirable. I'm thinking you meant back into condition though. :) (some meat covering those bones)

Has she been wormed? If so, with what? What is she eating? How long has it been since she was treated for the lice?

3. GoatHerder94

GoatHerder94 New Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Yes, I meant condition :wink: sorry about that.
    I wormed and treated her for lice recently, as in the last two weeks or so, with Ivesco Goat Dewormer and A multi-species lice dust. The dust worked the first time, but the second batch must've hatched and I dusted again... still waiting for results.
    Is there anything I can feed her, to help her gain some weight? I've tried sunflower seeds... i don't know...

4. 20kidsonhill

20kidsonhill Senior Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Virginia
    Calf manna will help her put weight on, but you will need to address her parasite load,

I would recommend a fecal test, and let the vet tell you what works best for your area and dosage.

A general all around wormer that works on lice and several strains of worms would be ivermectin. You would give the orally even if you purchased the injectable ivermectin.

I would put her on a loose GOAT mineral offered free-choice, increasing her copper and selenium will help her system fight off some of the parasite load.