Stuck afterbirth, what to do?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by cyanne, Jul 12, 2009.

1. cyanne

cyanne Senior Member

My ND, Bitsy, kidded yesterday evening. At first it seemed like she would pass the afterbirth, as she had a long bunch of junk hanging out and she was having some small contractions that seemed to be moving it slowly out. I decided to go to bed around midnight after seeing that she had passed another couple of inches of stuff. I figured that it would be out by morning.

So, now it's nearly 1pm the day AFTER she kidded, and she still has the afterbirth just hanging out of the birth canal. Now it is all gross and has dirt and hay stuck to it too, yuck.

I know you are never supposed to pull on it, so how the heck do you get it out if it is stuck? Today is Sunday so the vet is closed, I am going to try finding a way to get in touch with them, but I may not be able to get her to the vet until tomorrow when they open.

Sheesh, why is it ALWAYS the rule that your animals seem to know the vets' hours and only have problems when the office is CLOSED? :roll:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she has 24 hours to expel the afterbirth. If she doesnt by then you need the vet to give her a shot of something that I never remember the name of :oops:

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    If its dragging on the ground you can tie a couple of knots in it. And yeah I wouldnt worrry till she hits the 24hrs, some does take a little longer.
    Could it be that she passed it during the night & ate the evidence? You still should be able to find some slimy goo in her stall or wherever she kidded unless you have LGD.
    Congrats on the new family!

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I also hear that calcium can help a doe contract to get rid of the afterbirth. you can try giving her some tums

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I don't think I would worry to much just yet...just give it some time...i'm sure it will come out on its own if it's hanging out that far, but if she starts to act "off", i'd make sure she gets looked at by a vet because there may be something going on. But yeah,,,just give it a little time and keep a close eye on her.

7. cyanne

cyanne Senior Member

Good news, I had to let Bitsy out for a bit while I was fixing up my buck pen to make it baby proof, and she frisked around with the other girls for a while and it finally fell off. She still has a little something back there, but I am hoping that it is just goo and it will 'wash' out over the next week or so.

Will have to keep an eye on her and watch for infection.

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yeah they can have discharge up to about a week after kidding, just them cleaning everything out :)

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Wonderful news... :thumbup: ..I'm glad she passed it......she will have a discharge for a while........as long as... the doe is not showing signs of illness or has no smelly(rotten) discharge ...she will be a......OK :wink:

10. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I'm so glad to hear that!! :thumb:

11. what kids did she throw? pics?! :leap:

ps. ditto what everyone else said. it will likely pass on its own

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    check the page before -- she posted a picture of the doeling born.

Glad she finally passed it.

13. cyanne

cyanne Senior Member

She had a little black doeling with blue eyes and just a tiny little kiss of white on top of her head. I have pics posted in my other thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9932&start=60