The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lost a female that was very dear to me that I bought back off a person unfortunately she was already bread and the babies were huge I lost them all she managed to get the one out urself but the second one was not happening I've heard about this but have not seen this anybody have any advice on this AND breeding wise how to avoid this doesn't help at the buck is smaller than the does or if it's going to happen it's going to happen

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sorry for your lose. I pray this does not happen to me.

What breed was the doe and the buck that she was bred to?

This is my third year of birthing goats, but learned from some experience breeders, to cut back on grain the last month of pregnancy to avoid large babies. Thankfully, I have not had this problem as of yet.

Hope some others with more experience comes along with more answers.

·
Registered
10,026 Posts
Sorry for your loss. Are you sure the kid was too big; maybe it was malpositioned. Did the doe and the one kid make it? How big was the kid that made it out? Overgraining in the last month or 2 of pregnancy can cause the kids to grow too big but the does dietary needs are also great so you dont want to deprive her of the calories she needs. It is a hard balance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts