Stud fees

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Iceblink, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Iceblink

Iceblink New Member

Dec 5, 2008
    I am thinking about buying a couple of does from a woman nearby, and since she keeps a few bucks, asking if her bucks could service my does. How much do you all charge for breeding fees? Do you ever board does for a while to ensure 'the deed?'

Also, since I won't be increasing the size of my herd, is it reasonable to offer her one of the kids as a stud fee? The does she is selling are registered, and I think her bucks are too, so the kids could be too. What do you all think?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes you can offer a kid back for the payment for breeding. I have done this before. she may want it in writing to cover her back but I would ask.

stud fees range from 30-100.00 from my experience. It depends on the goats lines and if he has wone any champion legs or not

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I don't do stud service anymore, but when I did it was $75 for unregistered. If I did stud service at the moment, I would charge $100. Also, when getting the does bred, they would stay for one week and hopefully she would be in season, I didn't charge board. If she came back in season, they brought her back for another try, no charge.

I have traded a kid for a stud service, very reasonable deal.

4. Iceblink

Iceblink New Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Ok, good to know, thanks!

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

whn i did do stud fees i cahrged seventy five for proven bucks, (meaning i had seen udders from them) and his daughters had been in the show ring. Fifty for unproven bucks. (yearlings and two year olds) I knocked twenty dollars off the price for 4-h and FFA kids.
    beth

6. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Our stud fees are $50-$75 but we don't charge if it is our doe that we're breeding though and we have gotten kids instead before as a breeding fee as well.

7. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    I have a major complex stud service thing.. you can see it on my website.

8. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I just wanted to let you know that I could not cut and paste it. I am not sure if that is becaues I have a mac or what, but I just thought you should know.

**never mind-I think I'm just having issues

9. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    rebelshope: Got your message...I looked all over my saved files and couldn't seem to find the contract, but if I do come across it i'll let you know. :wink:

10. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
  11. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    Pancakes I am going to be chargen $50 because he is unreggestered and there is already a few people that want to breed with him. They love his coloring and want to see if they can kid with that coloring.

Dude is getting Regged and I was going to charge $75. Would you believe I have people already interested in him?? But he is going to the vet soon for a check up. He is on the small size and I hopen there is nothing wrong with him.