The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ADGA buckling will not be ready to service the registered doe that is ready to breed this year so I am needing to find a stud service for her. She is a 3 year old ADGA registered Nubian. Can anyone tell me what a decent price would be for this service. One lady I spoke with said she would charge $200, but she has never done it and neither have I so we don't really know what a realistic price would be. Any ideas? Please and thank you!! :)

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
If you are wanting her bred to a comparable buck for her blood lines, your best bet would be to search the registry for breeders in your area and contact them... most will do driveway breedings for a small fee but be aware that most won't offer the service at all because of the biosecurity measures they keep with their herds.
$200.00 for a stud fee is extreme in my opinion, unless that buck is superior with genetics and has the daughters in milk to prove his consistency.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
This is my first year breeding goats but I know unless the buck is extremely amazing $200 is too much. The breeder I found through my state's dairy goat association is only charging me $50 per doe.

·
1,983 Posts
$200 is very high in my opinion. Personally I charge $75 first doe $50 additional does. I also offer if the doe comes back into heat to re-breed 2 more additional times. This is for driveway breedings. Something to keep in mind is most breeders will not let you bring your does without a recent test for CAE. Also if the doe is a first freshener I will do a doe only memo. So I hope that gives you a good idea of what you should be looking to pay.

How old is your buck?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My buck is 6 months old. I know that he is old enough to breed them, but will it affect the kids at all since he is not fully grown? If there won't be any problems than I will just use him?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Bucklings can breed as young as like 3 months. YOur boy will for sure get the job done :) You just don't want to breed does too young because it is too hard on them.

·
1,524 Posts
Mine are usually closer to 4 months their first breeding season and manage to get the job done. 6 months, wow, he should be all over it!

Between 50-75 for stud service is normal around here. 200 would be normal for a top quality, many times over proven buck.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone!! I will be using him for our first breeding season!! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts