Stud Service

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by goatfarmer4891, Sep 8, 2014.

1. goatfarmer4891

goatfarmer4891 New Member

May 9, 2013
    Indiana
    I am starting to offer stud service this year for my registered buck because many people have inquired about it this year. I will be doing it at my farm (not driveway service). How much does everyone charge so I know a price range? Thanks!!

Fenn Farms
    fennfarmsgoats.com
    Facebook.com/fennfarms

2. Little-Bits-N-Pieces

Little-Bits-N-Pieces Active Member

Apr 7, 2013
    CA
    Depends on the buck and his lines, anywhere from $35-75 for a dairy buck is normal.

3. ndwarf

ndwarf New Member

Dec 23, 2013
    What breed, age, bloodline, and conformation do him and his offspring have? Do his daughters, dam, and sire's dam have well balanced and well attached udders? Is he polled or blue eyed? Are there many breeders with bucks of the same breed near you?

4. goatfarmer4891

May 9, 2013
    Indiana

There aren't any farms in the area that have stud service. He is ADGA Nubian buck. 1 1/2 old. Many people have told me $60-$75 is a fair range. Good bloodline, decent conformation. Offspring are strong and healthy with well attached udders and strong conformation.

Fenn Farms
    fennfarmsgoats.com
    Facebook.com/fennfarms

5. goatfarmer4891

May 9, 2013
    Indiana
    Polled eyed

Fenn Farms
    fennfarmsgoats.com
    Facebook.com/fennfarms

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Polled eyed?

Stud service prices greatly vary depending on the buck quality, pedigree, etc. With whatever price you choose, make sure to have a good contract in place. :thumb:

7. janeen128

janeen128 Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Edgewood, WA
    Polled eye? Did you just mean polled?

I actually have 4 bucks I'm offering for stud service, 1 is in the process of getting registered, the others are not. I guess I'm low because I charge $25.00 to $30.00 depending on the buck and wether he's proven or not... With him being polled, that is a very nice feature...;-)

8. CritterCarnival

CritterCarnival Yes Dear Goat Farm

Sep 17, 2013
    Western Kentucky
    The question meant "is he polled, and is he brown eyed or blue eyed?"

Polled means he was born hornless, and many people pay a premium for the genetics. Blue eyes are desired in breeds that allow them, Nigerian Dwarf and mini-dairy breeds mainly.

So I'm guessing he is actually brown eyed and born with horns, but was probably disbudded as a kid.

9. ndwarf

ndwarf New Member

Dec 23, 2013
    Could you get us a picture of him, his dam, his sire, his sire's dam, and one of his daughters?

10. lottsagoats

lottsagoats Junior Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Middle Maine
    I get $75.00 for the first doe. If they bring more than 1, I charge $50.00 each. Strictly hand breeding, they get bred and leave, no boarding. They leave with a buck service memo for each doe.

You mentioned you were not going to do driveway breedings- so the doe will stay at your place? Then you will need to charge board and make sure you have stalls far away from your other animals. There should be no contact (direct or indirect) between your animals and the outside animals, except the buck. The owners should bring enough of their does grain to hold them over until they leave.

A contract, similar to what they use for horses, would be best. Make sure all are in agreement about fee's, boarding, liability in case something happens to the doe, return service if the doe didn't settle (how many times will you allow returns?) What happens if the buck dies and the doe requires a return service?

Health papers are good also.

After each outside breeding, I put my buck on a course of antibiotics, just in case. I also either walk him through a pan of copper sulfate and water or some sort of anti-bacterial stuff and I spray or wipe him down with an antibacterial substance. (I use the hand wipes you can get at any grocery store).

I saved up for a while to buy each of my bucks. I bought the best I could afford, and will not be able to replace them any time soon, plus they are my babies and will stay mine until they die. I don't want anything to happen to them...or my does thru the bucks.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  11. goatfarmer4891

May 9, 2013
    Indiana

It was supposed to be connected with the first typing, but my phone froze- "not polled or blue eyed" is what it should've read at the end

Fenn Farms
    fennfarmsgoats.com
    Facebook.com/fennfarms

12. goatfarmer4891

May 9, 2013
    Indiana
    He is my main buck this year so I didn't know if it would be worth spacing out my breeding for the stud service, but many people have asked me if I would be interested. I had a contract and people paid extra for boarding and all went great and made pretty good cash for it. Everyone was satisfied, but I just dabbled in it last year so wanted to get everyone's prices so I can set a decent standard cost. I'm not in it to make a bunch of extra cash because that's what I breed and sell for, but figured since I have had multiple people ask me I would advertise it with my other services and give it a go. Thanks everyone!

Fenn Farms
    fennfarmsgoats.com
    Facebook.com/fennfarms

13. goatfarmer4891

May 9, 2013
    Indiana
    Well I posted the as 3 days ago and have already had 4 customers so it's going great so far! Thanks everyone!

Fenn Farms
    fennfarmsgoats.com
    Facebook.com/fennfarms

14. CritterCarnival

Sep 17, 2013
    Western Kentucky
    I was thinking of offering Splash for driveway service, but I don't like the idea of giving a service memo when I don't know for sure their doe took. Too many people are crooked these days, and if the doe comes back in season I'm afraid they may breed it to anything and use my service memo to register mutt kids as Splashes...:wallbang:

I guess I'm just too jaded to trust people any more.

15. goatfarmer4891

May 9, 2013
    Indiana
    I know what ya mean!! The contract I have them sign is very very detailed and covers all of those aspects (not that you'll really ever be able to keep them from using your memo) :) we make most of our farming money when birthing season comes, but it's nice to keep the buck occupied when he's not breeding my girls and the extra cash doesn't hurt.

Fenn Farms
    fennfarmsgoats.com
    Facebook.com/fennfarms

16. Little-Bits-N-Pieces

Apr 7, 2013
    CA
    The only risk of that is a 5 day heat, when they come back in 5 days later. But if they are bred 5 days later, and kid 5 days late, it looks fishy and you can only register the kids if they are born within 10 days of the breeding date.
    You can also write doe only memos...

17. CritterCarnival

Sep 17, 2013
    Western Kentucky
    Ahhh...missed that in all my reading, thank you. :thankU:

I may just list him for stud on Craigs List and see what happens. Maybe he can buy his own feed for a change!!

18. Little-Bits-N-Pieces

Apr 7, 2013
    CA
    Yep, no problem :) I think it's somewhere in the guidebook, or online... :scratch: Not entirely sure where exactly, but ADGA, and pretty sure ABGA will refuse to register the kids if they are past day 160 :)
    And if you put "Doe only" or "Buck only" on the memo, those are the only kids they can register from that breeding. :) So that's nice if you have an unproven buck and only want does to be registered :)

19. CritterCarnival

Sep 17, 2013
    Western Kentucky
    If doing driveway breedings, how would you resolve the deal if a doe is paid for and bred, but doesn't take? Would you offer free re-breedings? If so, how many tries do they get? Then what? Money back, different doe...just their tough luck their doe didn't take??

20. janeen128

janeen128 Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Edgewood, WA
    I offer money back, or a retry, their choice.