The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read here somewhere that people who rent out their bucks have them tested for CAE and Johne’s. Not that I am ready to rent my bucks out any time soon, but I am interested to know, those of you who do, do you request the does be tested negative as well? Otherwise you would be inviting disease in to your own herd?

·
Registered
282 Posts
That’s exactly why I haven’t. My original plan had been to stud out my buck, but when I went to create my add, I just couldn’t. I had a list that the Doe MUST be tested for (with proof), and I wanted her on my property (which then added feeding her to my expenses), and a few other things I was worried about. So, I never made it. I may try again this next fall if I can have a completely separate pen for him to live/breed in until I sell him.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's exactly why I haven't. My original plan had been to stud out my buck, but when I went to create my add, I just couldn't. I had a list that the Doe MUST be tested for (with proof), and I wanted her on my property (which then added feeding her to my expenses), and a few other things I was worried about. So, I never made it. I may try again this next fall if I can have a completely separate pen for him to live/breed in until I sell him.
Yeah, the more you think about it, the more risks you see, I guess.
It would be different if the doe came from a friends farm, that you trust.

·
Registered
11,189 Posts
There is not scientific evidence that CAE is spread through breeding.

And there is not much evidence that Johne's can be contracted by adult goats.

With that being said, if your buck goes to a farm with Johne's positive animals that are presently shedding the bacteria, he could bring back the contaminated manure on his feet/fur/etc. and then it could live in your soil and possibly contaminate future young kids. Unlikely, but feasible.

As for CL, your buck CAN contract that as an adult, and if he encounters CL pus at another farm he could contract it OR transport it back to your farm.

He can also get chlamydia. Some folks who stud bucks do an automatic sequence of LA-200 antibiotic before & after breeding sessions to reduce the risk of sharing chlamydia.

For me, the right answer is that I DO offer my bucks at stud, but the does come to stay at our farm in a pen that is only used for the bucks. The does are inspected on arrival and I wait for them to poop to make sure they aren't scouring and I check FAMACHA and look for abcesses - I feel them ALL over, behind legs, etc. I don't require blood tests for my stud service (although my herd is all tested) as they are only reliable in certain circumstances/ages.

But the right answer is different for every breeder/owner.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Around here driveway breeding of dairy goats is how it works. The day your doe is in standing heat you load her up and take her to Mr.Right-Now’s house. The owner comes out with latex gloves on and checks the doe before she can out of the truck/trailer. Owner then checks papers proving the doe is negative for CL/CAE and has been tested within the last 3 months. Then the doe and Mr.Right-Now do the deed a couple times, the owner hands a breeding certificate over and you load up and go home.

Sound like a hassle?? It is. It’s also about as low risk as you can get when offering buck services. I spent years getting does bred this way and now offer the same service!

·
Registered
453 Posts
There is not scientific evidence that CAE is spread through breeding.

And there is not much evidence that Johne's can be contracted by adult goats.

With that being said, if your buck goes to a farm with Johne's positive animals that are presently shedding the bacteria, he could bring back the contaminated manure on his feet/fur/etc. and then it could live in your soil and possibly contaminate future young kids. Unlikely, but feasible.

As for CL, your buck CAN contract that as an adult, and if he encounters CL pus at another farm he could contract it OR transport it back to your farm.

He can also get chlamydia. Some folks who stud bucks do an automatic sequence of LA-200 antibiotic before & after breeding sessions to reduce the risk of sharing chlamydia.

For me, the right answer is that I DO offer my bucks at stud, but the does come to stay at our farm in a pen that is only used for the bucks. The does are inspected on arrival and I wait for them to poop to make sure they aren't scouring and I check FAMACHA and look for abcesses - I feel them ALL over, behind legs, etc. I don't require blood tests for my stud service (although my herd is all tested) as they are only reliable in certain circumstances/ages.

But the right answer is different for every breeder/owner.
I like the LA200 idea for before/after, although I would likely just do after for my buck. Do you know what type of dosage/schedule they do?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Please don’t give LA200 prevetatively. Or any antibiotic for that matter. That’s what causes antibiotic resistance, and there are only a few antibiotics we can use already so we surely don’t want bugs becoming resistant to any of them any fast than we can help it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Around here driveway breeding of dairy goats is how it works. The day your doe is in standing heat you load her up and take her to Mr.Right-Now's house. The owner comes out with latex gloves on and checks the doe before she can out of the truck/trailer. Owner then checks papers proving the doe is negative for CL/CAE and has been tested within the last 3 months. Then the doe and Mr.Right-Now do the deed a couple times, the owner hands a breeding certificate over and you load up and go home.

Sound like a hassle?? It is. It's also about as low risk as you can get when offering buck services. I spent years getting does bred this way and now offer the same service!
How did you begin, I would love to put my buck into service, he has been throwing some beautiful babies for me...and he seems always ready to go! My girls only visit once a year! He is a registered ND

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts