Stuff I should know by now

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by nancy d, Sep 3, 2009.

1. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Took Nubian to be bred by Nub. Lady told me she had lots of goo on Aug 11th.
    Presumably bred. Picked her up this past wknd.

Today flagging so let her in with the Boer buck. She seems to be ok with him, havent seen the deed.

Question is will a doe accept service if already bred? Will t take if she is already settled?

Please tell me she wont have half a batch of Nubs & half a batch of Boers (she always quads out) :shrug: Its been 24 days since the inital exposure. :hair:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    whats her usual cycle? does she usually cycle every 24 days? if so then seh didnt take the first time with the Nubian. If she did take with the nubian that she just might be crazy and likes being with the boys. Some goats will stand for a buck even when settled - though this is rare.

3. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Her cycle is about 21 days & she usually takes the first go round. Havent seen any signs of coverage today on her, her hind end is dry as a bone.
    A couple of the Boer ladies are all gooyied up; I really didnt want so many kidding the same few days it drives me insane! But one good thing I wont have the energy to worry.
    And all the kids will be ready for new homes at the same general time. Just trying to look at it as a good thing.

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well if she isnt letting the buck breed her then she was getting into the spirit of all the other girls but really wasnt in heat.

5. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    I think you hit the nail on the head there Stace, she was just dancing around him.

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well I would go with the first breeding adn then if she doesnt kid you know that she was in with the boer buck this month

7. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Thank you Stacey, somebody always has to be messing with my mind out there!

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I once had an alpine doe, who went into heat twenty days on the dot all breeding season. Septwmber through january. She kidded in febuary. She was flagging oozing and even letting the buck mount her. When she popped out kids at the end of february i was a little surprised.
    beth