Stuffy Nose :(

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Baylie, Oct 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Baylie

Baylie New Member

Oct 19, 2017
    Hey Guys.
    New to this website and new to raising goats. I have had my little girl and her friends since August and today one of them has come down with a stuffy nose. She seems fine otherwise, eating, drinking, and grazing. I took her temperature with a regular digital thermometer and it was 102.4. She has no cough but she is audibly stuffy in her nose and often tries to blow it. Advice? When do I start antibiotics?

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

How do her lungs sound?

3. alicejane

alicejane Active Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Sounds like allergy or like dusty hay. might give probios to help imuine sysyem. Could try some vicks on nose.
    if not improving pencillin? Probios for sure. See if you can hear weezing. Also Mollys immuine st @ Fiaco farms.com/herbs. I think other thing could be mites or something on skin, or sore mouth stuff. Just thoughts.

4. Baylie

Baylie New Member

Oct 19, 2017
    I am obviously not a professional but I put my head to her chest and it all sounded like normal whooshing sounds to me. No crackles or wheezes.

5. Baylie

Baylie New Member

Oct 19, 2017
    That’s good to know! Thank you. I am wondering if it is from dusty hay. Her temperament is completely fine. I do have penicillin just in case she isn’t improving. I don’t hear any wheezing in her lungs but she will do this strange blow with her nose and it sounds congested.

6. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    I would try vet rx (available in the chicken section at tractor supply). One or two drops squirted into each nostril twice a day.

mariarose likes this.
  7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes, if the lungs sound OK, it is most likely a cold.

Keep an eye on the goat.

VetRx is good stuff