The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mini Nubian that is almost 10 months old. I was wanting to breed her but she just looks small to me. She was the smallest of 3 but not by much, her mom got sick and died about 2 months after having them. She wasn't the best mom to say the least, I had to put her on the milk stand the first few days just to let them eat, and she abandon one. This little doeling and the buckling stay with mom tho.
Dad was mini Nubian mom was full Nubian.

She is about 65lbs and the same size of my two 7 month old doelings that have the same dad.
Plant Wood Fawn Grass Terrestrial animal
Fawn Terrestrial animal Tail Wood Flightless bird

· Registered
"Did you know cats can fly?"- asked the little girl. Mom- "No?" Girl-**Throws off cliff**
6,630 Posts
With her being 65lbs, 10 months old, and mini Nubian, I'd say she's plenty big enough to breed. What's she getting bred to?

· Super Moderator
36,744 Posts
I have a different view on breeding.
First with her being a mini...she may take after the nigie side even though shes only 1/3 nigie. But I would wait to breed until she's at least a year old. I actually don't breed my girls until 18 to 24 months old..but many do at a year old. My goats tend to grow slower so I want to give all the chance to get to a good size. Maturity is also important. If you feel she is too small for her breed and age..i would wait.

Best wishes

· Registered
Goat Slave
3,777 Posts
Her weight for a mini is in normal range. Most of mine are about 80# at 10 months, but they also nurse until like 6 months and have lots of alfalfa.

It really depends on when you breed. I have one that is probably shorter than your girl (maybe the same?) And I bred her at I think 10 months. She's a big girl, and her lines are smaller (shorter) lines. She's wide though and hefty. I choose to breed her. I have held back when I felt they weren't ready. It's already individual to the goat though.

· Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Her weight for a mini is in normal range. Most of mine are about 80# at 10 months, but they also nurse until like 6 months and have lots of alfalfa.

It really depends on when you breed. I have one that is probably shorter than your girl (maybe the same?) And I bred her at I think 10 months. She's a big girl, and her lines are smaller (shorter) lines. She's wide though and hefty. I choose to breed her. I have held back when I felt they weren't ready. It's already individual to the goat though.
I guess I just expected her to be bigger then she is. I have Nubian alpine mix and Nubian Boer mix so when I look at her with them she just looks small.
Her dad was small too and she looks just like him. My other doelings are still with their moms and nursed up til almost 6 months old. Little Ivy only had her mom for 2 months and wouldn't take a bottle.

· Registered
Goat Slave
3,777 Posts
Ok so your other kids are mixed with mini Nubian just like she is? She is mini Nubian with standard Nubian?

If so she should be on par with them. I assumed they were full mixes of what you listed, not with mini Nubian. Is that her I the first pic, the small one? I'd say she should be on par with the Nub/Alpine/Mini Nubian cross kid. But her circumstances are different. Seeing her in that pic, I'd wait to breed her, it gives a better scale of size.

· Registered
"Did you know cats can fly?"- asked the little girl. Mom- "No?" Girl-**Throws off cliff**
6,630 Posts

· Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The 10 month old isn't in the last pictures. The doelings in them pictures are 7 months old.

The first doelings I asked about (10 month old one) mom is standard Nubian dad is mini Nubian.

All the doelings have the same dad.

These two are mom and daughter they are the mom's to my 7 month old doelings. They kidded one week apart.

Black a white one is alpine Nubian
Red and white ones dad is boer.

If that makes any sense lol.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts