The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this is Cookie-Donut, she was born April 15th 2013. From what the previous owner said she found her that day in the snow (it was are last blizzard of the season) and she was half frozen. Mom wouldn't take her back. She has the wry face, not major but there. I know she was stunted but not sure if she has caught up or not. Would you breed her next month if she was your doe?

Attachments

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know what you mean about the wry face, but Im really small scale in the fact that what I don't use for milkers will be eaten. So Im not to worried about passing on bad genes in that all her babies will be eaten. Unfortunately I am to poor to be anything more then a backyard breeder. Just for food and milk from her. My boers I plan on eating their kids or selling them for butcher will see if I can milk them being as they are dairy mixed and see how good there milk is. I heard there milk is good, Have no clue. Most of my goats kids will either be eaten or sold for butcher, including the ND's. The only one I have papers on is my Lamancha, now I do have a friend that is giving me her 2 registered Lamacha does that will basically be like a share, she will get milk from them but I take care and sell the babies. These babies I plan on offering to children who want to be 4Hers but cant afford a animal or lives in apts and don't have a place to keep an animal. My kids wanted to be in 4H but we always lived in town and/or couldn't afford too, So I would like to offer other children the opportunity too.

So would you say that she is to small to breed to a ND?

·
Super Moderator
59,953 Posts
She really looks too young. She still has that baby face. I wouldn't try until at least December when she is 8 months old but she just looks like she could use more time to grow. With having such a bad start, she will just need more time.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking that as well, holding off on breeding her till next year, same with my ND. I would like to make sure they have a better immune system before there taxed with being prego and then milked as well from kids and us. Right now the only ones I really want to get bred is my Boer girls and my Lamancha Doe. While she is my only registered girl, and I have access to a nice Lamancha buck for free, I am thinking of breeding her to a ND. Thinking the mix of those 2 breed would be some awesome tasting milk! But I may have to wait till next year for that for $ purposes. This is my 1st time breeding let alone kidding so I think 3 prego does will be more then plenty for my 1st time. Im breeding the 3 of them but only expecting 1 to get prego and the others 2 not but preparing for none to take or all 3. I pray they all do so at least 1 of the boer kids can be sold 1 in the frig and 1 ether milking or in the frig.

Also Karen just out of being Neiva(sp?) about goats and wry face, couldn't the wry face be cause from sinus infection when she was younger? I thought I read something about a lot of times that's what simple wry face is caused from, not the genetics but the situation? I cant seem to find where I read that but I thought I did somewhere. I ask cause I seen her mom and siblings and they all was fine, bigger then she but fine.
Learning so much on this boared I love it!!:stars:

·
Super Moderator
59,953 Posts
My experience with wry face is mainly alpacas but I have never heard of wry face as a result of a sinus infection. Wry face does take the right combination of male and female to produce. But an animal with wry face will have a higher chance of producing offspring with wry face.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts