The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year was first time I've seen this in my herd. All my goats are large fullbred Nubians. I have a closed herd and all are free from CL, CAE & Johnes. Since they've always been healthy I've never put my goats on any cocci prevention. Now I'm wondering if this stunted growth in one of my young ones is the result as I've read somewhere it is one symptom of the presence of Cocci.

Can anyone speak to this; and if so, what preventive measures do you all use (on entire here? on pregnant doe? on just new-borns?)??

·
1,384 Posts
If you are sure the kid was getting enough to eat/drink then I would also guess cocci, although tapeworms can stunt growth as well.

we put Corid in the drinking water every 21 to 28 days for 6 days. 2 ounces per 5 gallons the first day and 1 ounce per 5 gallons the rest of the days, I do occasionally adjust it and work the numbers backwards to make sure they are getting 10 mg per lb of active ingredients per day.

Corid only a 24 hour withdrawal and has recently been approved for organic farms.

·
Registered
29,973 Posts
only white wormer kill tape..valbazen or safe guard...we use valbazen in all kids..
Corid is a thiamine inhibitor ....we dont like to do mass prvention since you dont know who is getting what and can build a resitance to the medcation if they are not getting enough...its better to treat each kid ...I love Baycox its only 1 cc per 5# and one dose is preventive..2 doses ten days apart is for treatment..I would treat for both tape and cocci...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let me see if I'm understanding this correctly.

To treat for cocci I could use Corid (2 oz/5gal first day then next 5 days 1 oz) and then wait 24 hrs before using the milk.

To treat for tapeworm I could use Valbazen OR Baycox with the latter dosed at 1cc/5lb once only for preventive measure; same dose twice spread 10 days apart for treatment.

Did I understand correctly?

·
Registered
29,973 Posts
Baycox is for Cocci
Valbazen for worms including tape

I would not use Corid for cocci...it is a thiamine inhibitor...choose baycox or if you need it now cince baycox needs to be ordered, use sulmet or albon for cocci...If corid is all you can find then also treat with thiamine (RX) with each dose to prevent polio..

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Goodness I did misunderstand. Thank you so much for clarifying it for me.

Now I will google Baycox to see if I can get it without a Rx.

No I have not even heard of that genetic tendancy on Nubians. Thanks for telling me about it.

Well, I just called several local stores and none of them carry the "Toltrazuril 200 ml Baycox". Also, the only Valbazen carried is a "drench". :(

·
Registered
29,973 Posts
order baycox for cocci with out scripted at horseprerace.com...
and yes..Valbazen is oral...: ) this works against many worms issues including tape

both are 1 cc per 5#

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What do you mean "Baycox is a script"? What is a "script"?

I found where Toltrazuril 200ml Baycox (for horses) can be purchased ... apparently without a prescription if that is what you meant by "script".

Thanks for info on Valbazen's being a drench. (I just got thru reading on another forum where Valbazen is NOT EVER RECOMMENDED FOR DAIRY GOATS. This search sure is getting confusing!

·
Registered
29,973 Posts
I raise dairy goats and use Valbazen...you do not want to use in any bred doe as it can cause miscarriage but otherwise perfectly safe...

Baycox is not script ( prescription) and yes it is for horses...when I had a huge cocci breakout ast season..my regular treatment was not working..a friend told me about baycox and I asked my vet if he could look into it...he called back a few hours later to give the thumbs up..he said they have used it successfully in sheep in both Australia and Canada...soI ordered it and have very happy with the results..

·
Registered
29,973 Posts
Yes..the is a lot of conflicting info out there....its good to research everything...find other goat folks who are successful with a healthy herd and pick their brain...read forums and ask tons of questions...in the end we have to decide how to proceed.There are a lot of very informed folk on here and although we dont always practice the same..( such as giving injected wormer orally or not) we all have a huge heart for goats and proper care, and if someone's response is off..there is always someone to help set things straight...just keep reading and asking questions..lots of questions..it helps you and others

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes I will continue researching everything when the need arises. This forum and all you wonderful people have always been helpful even when you don't agree.

I'm thinking I'll get some of tha Baycox and just have it on hand for next year's kidding time. I'm also going to get some Valbazen and use it (remembering not to use it on bred does).

I've been using Cydectin, alternating the next year with Ivermectin Plus. I will simply add Valbazen for a 3rd year's alternation. I believe by doing it all this way and not underdosing, I can keep down the immunity that often shows up.

·
1,384 Posts
Let me see if I'm understanding this correctly.

To treat for cocci I could use Corid (2 oz/5gal first day then next 5 days 1 oz) and then wait 24 hrs before using the milk.

To treat for tapeworm I could use Valbazen OR Baycox with the latter dosed at 1cc/5lb once only for preventive measure; same dose twice spread 10 days apart for treatment.

Did I understand correctly?[/QUOTE

Sorry, didn't mean to ignore you, I didn't read through everyones responses, I am behind on my reading.
yes on the Corid.
and ivermectin plus and cydectin do nothing for tapeworms.

VAlbazene needs to be 3 days in a row and so does safegaurd.
Synanthic works well, but it is pricey.
Quest plus or equimax has a tapeworm medication in it, but I have no idea what withdrawal you would use for the milk. It is off label for slaughter and milk since it is only labeled for horses and dogs and cats. The active ingredients is prazaquental and we use th equimax on our brood herd one time in the summer, these animals are not going to slaughter any time soon. it gets rid of the entire tapeworm, were the other wormers only get rid of the tapeworm segments and not the heads. I dose at twice the dosage for horses. so a 100 lbs goat gets enough for a 200 lbs of horse.

Vabazen is 4 cc per 100 lbs
Safegaurd is more like 1 cc per 15 lbs, I find safegaurd to be really expensive, but if you just have a couple goats you can get a small bottle of safegaurd for goats for under 20 bucks.
Valbazen you can get for around $40 for a bottle.
Synanthic is near $100 a bottle, making it pricey for a couple goats, but is a good price for larger number of animals, since it is one day and not 3 days in a row and only 1 cc per 100 lbs.

·
1,384 Posts
Yes I will continue researching everything when the need arises. This forum and all you wonderful people have always been helpful even when you don't agree.

I'm thinking I'll get some of tha Baycox and just have it on hand for next year's kidding time. I'm also going to get some Valbazen and use it (remembering not to use it on bred does).

I've been using Cydectin, alternating the next year with Ivermectin Plus. I will simply add Valbazen for a 3rd year's alternation. I believe by doing it all this way and not underdosing, I can keep down the immunity that often shows up.
We are using wormers similar to what you are, we use cydectin one year and valbazen one year, synanthic another year. Valbazen is the hardest to use the entire year, since you can't use it on pregnant goats. We stopped using ivermectin. But I heard some farms are having really good luck with dextomax.
We only use ivermectin as an injectable for mites and lice, ect..... I do think it helps keep the smaller worms under control, but I don't find it helps much with barber pole worms in our area.

I have not asked our vet about BAycox. I don't know anything about that drug. But Corid has been working well for us. Because of the short withdrawal it allows me to use it any time and still send goats to market at any time.

·
Registered
29,973 Posts
It is better to use the same wormer until it no longer works...If you alternate wormers you begin a resistance to more wormers and then you run out of choices...we use Ivomec plus and valbazen here depending on the need.
I only do wormer 3 times ten days apart then once more in 30 days if the worm load Im dealing with is heavy..no need to do valbazen 3 times for boosters..Such as right after kidding

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok let's see if I got it right now....

I can use Baycox for kids starting at 4 weeks of age, using it as a prevention to cocci. The dose would be 1cc/5.5 lbs (which is a triple dose) daily for a consecutive 3 days; then again after 4 days. After that start giving kids "Calf-Pro" daily at 1cc/11 lbs continuing until weaned.

I would use Ivermectin Plus (1cc/40 lb) for general worming (or triple dose this to knock out menengial worm, which I've not seen here as yet) and Valbazen (1cc/5 lb) daily for 3 consecutive days, then another in 30 days for tapeworms OR TO GET THE HEAD TOO, USE "Equimax" or "Quest Plus" at double the dose recommended for horses, using this only once.

Am I understanding correctly now?

·
Registered
29,973 Posts
Baycox does not need triple dose..1 cc per 5 # once if no Cocci issue 2x ten days apart if there is an issue..then treat as needed based on fecals

Ivomec plus is 1 cc per 40#..(unless dealing with menengial)
Valbazen is 1 cc per 5#..I do 3 times, 10 days apart then once more in 30 days..

·
1,384 Posts
It is better to use the same wormer until it no longer works...If you alternate wormers you begin a resistance to more wormers and then you run out of choices...we use Ivomec plus and valbazen here depending on the need.
I only do wormer 3 times ten days apart then once more in 30 days if the worm load Im dealing with is heavy..no need to do valbazen 3 times for boosters..Such as right after kidding
the theories out there on worming are frustrating, one vet we have out tells us what you just said and another vet that comes out tells us why would you use the same wormer over and over to knowing you will eventually build a resistance. His theory was switching every year or two years to a different wormer so no one wormer ever gets over used. Ugh. drive me crazy.
we went 3 years worming only the bottom weakest 1/3 of our herd on an as needed basis. that was all fine and dandy until we had a warm wet winter and the parasite loads on our pastures sky rocketed. we have no room fo rotational grazing(which woudl be ideal). So know we are back to worming every one 3 times every 2 to 3 week in the spring to get the spring worm load down, and then see how it goes as the summer goes on.
oh, valbazen is fine dosed one time for most worms, I meant to say needs to be doses 3 days in a row for tapeworms.

Had another vet tell us to put the entire herd on a pelleted wormer to keep all the small worms under control and then we would just have to deal with barber pole worm problems as they occur. These aren't beginner vets, All vets with years and years of experience working in big farming community. Just so many different theories.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts