Stunted Kid

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by TinyHoovesRanch, Dec 1, 2010.

1. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

I have a 5 month old doeling, she only weighs 11 pounds, shes my baby thats been sick and currently on Cocci meds.

Shes very little and I would like to do anything possible to make her grow.

What can I give her to make her have better growth? Shes also very mineral Defficiant, she wont eat ANY of the minerals ive gotten for my goats.

Im willing to get anything to help her grow, I want her to be healthy.

My 3 month old weighs 13,so I know she needs to be bigger.

Thanks!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    what is she getting to eat?

grain? - what is the protein % ? how much you feeding?
    Hay? how much and what?

3. TinyHoovesRanch

We have been feeding Grass hay, I havent been giving kids very much grain because I know some people that have lost kids to grain. But he protein is um,I cant think of it right now but I will look when I get home.

We give out goats alot of hay, probably too much, we just give enough so they have something to munch on during the day, and they also have a little bit of grass to eat in their pen but shes not in that pen

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    never heard of kids dying from being fed grain -- they need it for proper growth especially if only on grass hay.

I would be giving her 1/2cup twice a day (build her up to it) and I would make sure its at least 16% protein

5. TinyHoovesRanch

We used to give them alfalfa but I was told to stop so I just switched to Grass hay. Shes always been really small but when she got sick she just never grew.

Ok I will start doing that

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    im not sure who told you to stop feeding alfalfa but thats all I feed and my goats grow very well and I have a higher milk yield

7. TinyHoovesRanch

I think our alfalfa was too rich for my goats so we changed to this mixed grass hay, it has some clovers in it.

When this hay is gone, we are probably switching back, I know my grain is 17% and we also have BOSS and Beet Pulp that I could add in, oh and Calf Manna

8. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I completely agree with Stacey. We grow alfalfa hay for a living (along with other stuff)...it's premium, richest of the rich alfalfa hay for dairy cattle. I have my goats on this year round. It is excellent for them especially lactating does and growing kids. Whoever told you to stop feeding it is giving bad advice, no offense...especially since you have kids that aren't growing well. It is way better to feed vs. grass hay. It's not going to be to rich for them...just slowly mix it with the hay you have now and pretty soon you can feed it with just a little grass hay. Right now my kids are on a nearly straight alfalfa diet...along with grain.

Grain is a must in my opinion, for growing kids. We mix show goat, goat chow, sweet feed, calf manna, and something else I would have to go look at the sack out in the shed to remember. I have three big garbage bins full of this mix. But I give grain to all my kids for the first year or until they are nearly full grown and then they are turned out with the rest of the herd.

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Each of my dam raised kids start eating grain at around 3 weeks, hay at 1-2 weeks...the kids get their own 18% with calf manna and alfalfa pellets mixed in at around a month old, by the time they are 7-8 weeks old they are getting a half cup twice a day and it's really funny because my kids follow their moms to the mineral feeder and will stand on mama to get the minerals. As Stacey said, start the girls off slow with the grain, mine even enjoy it made into a warm mush, even if they aren't going after the minerals, most goat feeds have the nutrients/minerals they need. I had been giving my goats straight alfalfa hay but had to cut it with clover due to the fact that they were getting too fat! Alfalfa will give your babies the extra calories they need for growth. Provide a little baking soda freechoice next to the minerals, they will use it if needed. Also, be forewarned, since these little girls have had coccidia, they may have intestinal damage that prevents them from absorbing nutrition.

10. TinyHoovesRanch

Only one of my girls has Cocci, and shes always been pretty small, at her old home she got grain. Here my goats seem to not eat it, which is weird. I give them some everyday, not the little ones though because they never ate it.

I have free choice minerals and baking soda, al my adults eat and lovethe stuff, the younger goats want nothing to do with it

Lotus, has been getting some grain since shes been sick to help her, I will up her feed though

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    are you using a pellet or a sweet feed?

12. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    I bought (unknowingly) what I think was a stunted Alpine doeling this spring and she just didnt seem to be growing, at 3 months she weighed half as much as another Alpine doeling I got the same day. They had the same sire and twin sister dams, I later found out they were born in less then a week of each other so then I was worried. About 2 months ago the small doeling caught up in height and build as her half sister/cousin only 5 pounds different in weight. I was feeding her Calf-Manna for about a month as a top dress on her normal grain ration and I think it made the difference, I have also used Calf-Manna on some other goats with weight issues and they also improved. That might be something to consider feeding, My local walmart carries it.

Good luck with her!

P.S. I thhink you mentioned one of your babies bloated, My small doeling also went through bloat, She sat on my lap while I watched TV and bounced her. I could feel the bubbles coming up in her chest.

13. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Laura, Just wanted to point out that if one of your goats has cocci, they VERY VERY likely all have it. Some less than others. Once they have it, it's very rare to completely get rid of it. It's controllable though.

14. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    to be fair. I lost 3 kids to grain toxemia, but that was because they got fed a LARGE amount..

also, alfalfa is a MUST! its got calcium and a bunch of other goodies.. grass is pretty close to empty calories. you can mixhalf alfalfa and half grass.. or alfalfa pellets.. but alfalfa something

some B12 wouldn't be a bad idea either

15. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Do be careful with alfalfa. It is good for your goats, but it is rich. Kids are very prone to scours if they get too much rich feed, and that is a problem. I used to feed nothing but alfalfa, but I would always have a couple of my kids scour. Take them off the alfalfa, and the problem was fixed. However, I had them out on a pasture that was very lush in the spring and summer. SO, the combo of the lush field plus the rich alfalfa was probably what caused scouring. If they don't have access to a lush field, I'm sure the alfalfa would agree with them.

I got a stunted doeling last month. She was 8 months and ridiculously small. She has doubled in size in a month and doesn't have that stunted "look" to her anymore. I feed Purina Goat Chow twice a day. You won't get into trouble losing kids on grain unless you over do it or feed them the wrong stuff. Never feed a goat grain that is not designed for a goat. Horse grain, cattle grain, etc. is formulated for a completely different animal and can have minerals and substances that are bad for goats. That, and you can lose goats if you feed them mostly grain without enough forage. They need the long fibers, etc. to keep their digestive system healthy and keep the balance in their gut correct. They should be taking in way more hay/alfalfa/grass, etc. than grain. I don't know what amount I give my itty bitty girl a day. Probably a cup and a half to two? I can't measure by eye at all. I split it into a morning and night-time feeding to minimize any chances of digestive upsets because she isn't having a large amount at one time. And I provide free choice baking soda to help prevent bloat for all my goats at all times. If she won't eat her minerals, sprinkle the correct daily amount (will say on the bag) on top of her grain. I feed Purina Goat Minerals and they like it.

I think the thing that really did it for mine was as much grass hay as she wants (then I don't have to worry about diarrhea). Also, you might add alfalfa pellets. I've never had any problems with scouring with the pellets, even with the lush pasture. I think it looses some of its rich-ness in the pelleting process, but it still will provide good nutrition and calcium. I also give her the daily grain and minerals, plus the Vit A/E/D/B12 gel I got. I give her the dosage once every two weeks. It is a paste you can get from Jeffers Livestock (just google it.) Its a giant tube that is supposed to be used with one of those gun thingies. I didn't know that and don't have a gun, so I have to put something pointy under it and push down, then squish the paste into the top of a syringe until it is the proper amount.

16. TinyHoovesRanch

Sweetfeed, its called um SHOOT I dont remember but its really nice grain!

Ya she was REALLY bloated but now she is totally fine! Thanks!

The ones that were in the pen with her are being treated, the others are fine, vet said they didnt need treatment, they are far enough away they didnt get the Cocci.

Thats what happened, they were having some greenish poop and my vet said not to feed alfalfa anymore, Lotus is getting alfalfa, and when we are almot done with grass hay we will buy some alfalfa for everyone.

I have grain, calf manna, BOSS and some beet pulp that I need to mix and then everyone will get the grain mix

17. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    My vet suggested to put a little water in some of the mineral (not the whole batch) but a bowl of it that is more of a paste consistency, and the goats did seem to prefer it to the dry... so I do that just every-so-often if they dont seem to be taking in as much from the mineral feeder.

18. TinyHoovesRanch

GOOD IDEA!!!

My goats seem to love paste lol, so maybe I will try that! I leave the minerals in the pen, and NOTHING, they look at me like they hate me lol