Stunted ND Doeling Kid - Rehab Progress

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by firelight27, Nov 30, 2010.

1. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Here is the other ND I got a month ago. I posted asking about possible stunting. She was 8 months old and the size of a two month old, even for a small, slow growing ND. The shape of her body wasn't right for a normal kid either, with her front end being almost shrunken looking, and her back end being an abnormally peaked looking. I mean, she wasn't simply shorter in the front, she was shrunken. Her feet were miserable, but it was easy to fix those.

I have been feeding her Purina Goat Chow, great hay free choice and bi-weekly vit. A/E/D/B12 gel. She has grown ridiculously in just one month. She looks normal now! I am excited, because this girl is my "udder" girl, and should add some great udder genetics based on her family tree.

Oct 26 (I think):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nov 30 :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am SO happy she pulled out of that stunted look. Now she just needs to double her size before she can be bred. At the rate she is going, she should be a good size in a couple of months.

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    WOW.
    major kudos to you.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    kids do grow butt first just an FYI

but yes she is looking awesome in coat size and overall health :)

I would love to see her shaved and stacked next year - she looks to be a well put together goat :)

4. WOW! :shocked: Congrats on your hard work! It definitly paid off! :hi5:

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Awesome job!! Putting the appropriate nutrition into a stunted kid can be a challenge, she looks like you have found the right combo to help her grow!

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Congrats..... she looks great..... :thumb: :greengrin:

7. firelight27

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Thanks! I know they grow butt first. So do horses. Actually I think every 4 legged creature I have ever seen grow does the butt first thing. At least goats mature faster. My two year old horses are still going through some major growth spurts and have the butt in the air thing happening once in awhile. However, this doeling's was ridiculously high in comparison to her front end, and her chest/shoulders were shrunken. Those pictures I took in October made her look better than she was. She was really freaky looking. Like a tick. Lol. Got her for free when I bought the doe with the wobbly legs. Both are coming around really nicely so I am ecstatic. And yeah, I can't wait to shave her and all my other goats, but I have to wait forever for warm weather. I want to show and take photos! Lol.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh I totally agree - she wasnt going through a normal growth faze (well maybe growing but very uncoordinated due to her deficiencies). was putting out a reminder to all that seeing the butt in the air as a kid grows isnt a cause for alarm in normal circumstances. Her case was extreme - im still amazed at her in just a month

9. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    BIG difference...you are doing awesome with her...keep it up!

10. firelight27

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Yeah, she was extreme. If you take those first photos you would need to rotate them to the right to see just how downhill she was. See how her front feet are standing way above her back feet in the first photo? I think that I wasn't holding the camera straight, because the floor in that barn is completely level, so if you rotated the photo until her feet were level with each other, she would look even worse. Lol. Thanks everyone. I'll post more photos in the spring all clipped up, and will take some photos at her first show, probably in July.

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome...... :thumb: :)

12. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    WOW what a turn around! Your doeling looks great now! Good job. :thumb:

13. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Congratulations.

Now I can say sowmthing and others might not agree at all, but if she was my doe, I would hold off breeding her a extra year. She is still going to need that extra time to totally come into herself. Just my opinion.