Stupid milk question.....

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by kelebek, Aug 29, 2008.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Ok - so how long is colostrum considered colostrum when milking out a newly freshened doe??? 24 hours after delivery, 48 after delivery???

Thanks - I just want to make sure I label the milk correctly. I milked out the twins momma last night and it still looked a little "colostrumy" LOL!

2. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I think for the first 12 hours it is colostrum colostrum. So you would give that to newly born babies and then for three days I think there is some colostrum. TOTALLY not sure though haha. But that is what I think, probably wrong though,

3. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I don't think it was a stupid question at all! :hug:

In fact it was very helpful, thanks for asking! I love learning about my goats so much, I hardly know what to ask. :greengrin:

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well like Chelsey said it is colostrum for the first 12 -24 hours then it slowly changes over to milk --- but for that first week it can have a colostrum color and or consistancy

5. Candy

Candy New Member

At what point would it not be good to be frozen and saved for kids that need it and none is available from their dam. :? I know that the kids must ingest it in the 1st 24 hrs because of the ability to absorb the nutrients.
    Candy

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    by the 3rd day I would say that if you were going to use it as collostrum for an "orphaned" animal you would need more then a couple ounces of this "colostrum" to fulfill their needs for the colostrum intake within that small time frame. Does that make sense?

I usualy dont freeze it past the 2 day mark as by then it starts to be more milk.

7. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i agree with the rest. i don't save it after 24 hours as colostrum for babies newly born.

8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Most does make a little more then the baby needs. Sine i bottle feed my kids, i give them what the need first, usually about 30 oz. and then i take the rest and freeze it. Frozen colostrum is good for about a year. I save it for in case i lose a doe at kidding, or if she is late making colostrum, sometimes they dont make it for a day or more after they give birth. Plus its nice to have on hand, the local vets know i have it in case there is an orphan deer or foal.
    un frozen colostrum is only good for a couple of days.
    beth

9. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007