The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had some neighbors having a bonfire... not too close to the goats but across the field there was a cloud of smoke that I noticed, we could smell the smoke but it wasn't like we were in it.

This morning I noticed maybe one of the boys had a slight nose thing like a few odd stuffy noises? I could totally be overreacting though.

Basically, I know how to treat respiratory issues from bacteria or viral etc., but I feel so helpless and have no idea what to do. He seems just fine, was chewing cud, breathing is fine in his chest and mouth and everything. He just made a few funny snort noises in his nose prior to chewing his cud. I don't know, I am really not sure if this is a complete overreaction or if i need to do something for smoke inhalation.

I was going to put a few drops of VetRX on/in his nose.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't do anything but monitor for additonal symptoms and maybe check rectal temperature once. Not so much due to smoke inhalation but just in case he is coming down with pneumonia.
Today is a really hot day. I have a feeling he will have an elevated temp either way. I am watching closely for any other symptoms. If pneumonia comes from smoke inhalation, can it be treated the same way as bacterial and viral?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay update:

He seems normal. Just out grazing, relaxed. I listened to his chest closely and everything sounded normal, didn’t hear it at all which is a good thing. He doesn’t sound to really stuffy at the moment, I mean, I still put some VetRX on his nose to be safe, but he seems fine. I’ll keep immune boosting as much as I usually do and more, I have lots of plays in my book for pneumonia prevention and I plan to enact them to ensure he stays healthy. Maybe he just got a bit stuffy and after a full day it worked it’s way through, or maybe it’s just seasonal allergies, or he was just so chill he was snoring. Who knows. I will keep an eye on him. It’s also really hot today, so I am keeping an eye on him but it’s hard to get a good read of everything.

·
Goat Crazy!
6,475 Posts
Vetrx is always useful for any situation where they seem to be having a breathing difficulty. You can't OD it and it's not expensive, but it IS helpful!

·
Goat Crazy!
6,475 Posts
Lol I couldn't really figure out the best way to apply it, @groovyoldlady , so I used a glove and put it on my finger to dab around his nostrils. Seemed to help. But I'm sure there is a better way.
I just squirt a couple drops on each nostril. On occasion I have glopped on too much, but like I said, you can't OD it. So no worries!

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I put it in an insulin syringe (minus the needle) and put it in the nostrils. Wait until they exhale, then a couple of drops. They have to breathe in, or squirt it up into the nostril and look out, they usually snort all over the applier person! (It's hard to remove from glasses!)
Thank you! All good today, didn't hear any sniffles at all.

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts
Glad the goat is OK.

You could talk to your neighbor or animal control, so they are aware your goats are being effected by the smoke.
Ask if they do burn, if it is possible to do it on a day the breeze is going the opposite direction of the goats next time.
Sometimes it helps, unless you have a bad uncaring neighbor.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Glad the goat is OK.

You could talk to your neighbor or animal control, so they are aware your goats are being effected by the smoke.
Ask if they do burn, if it is possible to do it on a day the breeze is going the opposite direction of the goats next time.
Sometimes it helps, unless you have a bad uncaring neighbor.
We are moving the goats this week. Not worth it to pick a fight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts