stupid pink eye!!!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by lesserweevil, Nov 25, 2009.

1. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Sooo annoying!!! Following up from my previous post... having separated the two ewes that had pink eye, they were treated, pronounced cured, and returned to the flock...

...2 weeks later, at least half of the ewes and lambs have it. Several are really bad, the majority are only just beginning with weepy eyes. :hair:

What's the bet they ALL get it now??? :angry:

None of the goats have it... yet

LW

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh darn! thats aweful! is there a mass treatment available?

3. TNP

TNP New Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Pink eye here too. My dog had it and gave it to one goat. Treated the dog for 2 weeks and he seemed to be over it. Treated both goats as I was pretty sure it would spread to the other since they sleep on top of each other. Today both my dog and the goat that originally had it both woke up with it again. Called the vet. Apparently it's a type that's resistant to the Tobramycin we used on both the dog and goats. So the vet prescribed something else for the dog, and I'm going to use LA200 on the goat.

I've been scrambling to find the stuff before everyone closes for the holiday. Every feed store and co-op is sold out of LA200. I finally found a Tractor Supply that says they have it in stock, so I'm getting it there. Thank goodness they still have some left! Same problem with my dog's prescription. The vet and I are having a heck of a time finding a pharmacy with this medicine in stock. :hair:

4. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Injectable oxytetracycline 200 mg/ml (LA200 or equivalent) should do the job. Inject SQ over the ribs with an 18 gauge needle for five consecutive days. The dose depends on the weight. The microorganisms (some bacterial and some viral) that cause pinkeye can be spread to healthy animals through contact so you need to separate the healthy from the sick. A yellow spray-on powder called Furox - a brand of Furazolidine is also very effective and i would use both.

5. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I am so sorry! That's HORRIBLE!!! :hug: Good luck!

6. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    ya the fairly accepted method of treatment over here is Dry Cow mastitis tubes squirted into the eyes for a few days. Cause it's basically just an antibiotic ointment. The problem is, I'm told it's a treatment not a preventative so I can't treat all the healthy ewes with it too...

Going to use this for a few days and see if it works before moving on to injections - which could get particularly expensive for this number of animals!!!

If the eye ointment doesn't work, I will use tetroxy LA injection, but I'd prefer not to have to... as it's not cheap :hair:

All the sheep are inside now. Because outside is literally inches deep in mud due to unheard of amounts of rain falling. The Shannon river in the West is the highest ever reported since reporting started in 1840something. There are massive floods all over the country especially in the West... and conditions just aren't suitable for the ewes to be out any longer even though I WANTED them out until Christmas. Oh well, they were only getting hay outside anyway - now they can only get hay inside instead! Still got to bring the lambs in, but haven't got any room for them yet due to large piles of sawdust bags occupying their pen... :roll:

And this all means that there's NOWHERE to separate infected ewes to - so... expecting it to go right the way through the flock now . Beugh. I can hardly kick the sick ewes out the door to wander in a ploughed field looking like drowned rats.

LW

7. TNP

TNP New Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Same boat here, with separating the sick one. I have a place to separate them when the weather is decent, but it's going to be way too cold and wet to put her there this week. Right now I'm glad that I only have 2 and not a whole herd to worry about like you do. Good luck.