stupid question

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by greif, Aug 31, 2008.

1. greif

greif New Member

Nov 3, 2007
    kaukauna, WI
    hi

what are the two things hat hang on the necks of some breeds of goats? we have NG's so they do not have them but we have seen them on other breeds.

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    wattles, a totally usless flap of extra skin. some breeders like them some do not. btw there is no such thing as a stupid question.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    of course it isnt stupid. They are waddles and I love them :D I dont see them as useless, just part of some goats.

Just about any breed can get them --- I dont know of any breed that is exempt from the chance of waddles :shrug:

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    i've never seen them on boers. but i see them alot on dairy goats and spanish. how about mytonics?

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I was thinking that I had never seen them on boers but then I was like... hmm I could be wrong on that so I didnt want to say either way

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    No,, I have never seen them on boers ,,,they do not get them.....It is not there breed character....but if someone ever sees a fullblood boer with some let us know....that would be something different to see...................:shades:

7. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I don't guess I've ever seen them on a fullblood Boer, but I have a 50% that has them and one of her kids turned out with just one. Kind of weird....

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I love them. People call the goat jewelry. I have seen a few cashmere with them and a lot of Pygmy goats with them them. I have to say that I have never seen a Boar with them but that does not mean that they do not get them.

9. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    i had one set of twin mini nubian does that were born with them this year
    my alpine grade wether has them
    when i get him trained better i want to put him in the memorial day parade
    i thought i would get those little clips that girls wear in their hair and clip to his wattles then string beads off them like earrings or one string between the 2 like a necklace
    i love them
    my daughter says she wants to cut them off and make earrings out of them
    :doh: but she's a little weird :help:

this is a pic of Pig saying "HI" to the first babies of the year but it's a good pic of his wattles
    (so cute :love: )
    [​IMG]

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It's odd that the only goats I've seen around here with wattlles have been Toggs.....up til a few years ago when I got a nigi cross doe that had one wattle....now my newest little herd member Bailey ,pygmy/nigi cross has a matched set....can't wait to see if she passes them on...they are cute though and my wattle less kid which is a month older thinks it's something for her to nibble at..too cute to see her do this :greengrin:

11. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Myos dont have them...if they do, it means that they are a crossbred goat. They are counted off for in the show ring.

12. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    That is too funny tbg!!!

13. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

they can be on about any swiss breed. Toggs and saanens seem to be the most commen. Pygmies have them quite often, alpines not as much, but i have seen quite a few with them. Purebred nubians are not suposed to have them, i have never seena purebred with them only americans.
    beth

14. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    wow, i didnt know that mytonics and nubians shouldnt have them. now that i remember i've never seen any with them so yeah i guess pygmies/ND and swiss. do new zealands or spanish meat goats have them?

15. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

not all nubians, just purebreds. I see americans with them all the time.
    beth

16. smwon

smwon Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Northern California
    My ND doe has them, they are so pretty! They are black tipped in white.