Stupid theme??

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by kelebek, May 28, 2008.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Ok so I have registered does that are going to start birthing. Probobly one early next month, 2 in August and 1 in September.

I was sitting here at work trying to think of a "theme" for this years kids. Well I think most of you all know that I live on a lake (well actually on the cliff bove it - I am not "rich" enough to be on the lake :ROFL: ) but anywho the name of the ranch is Sunset Lake Ranch.

Every bay going around the lake has a name - for instance I live in Gotham Bay. Then there is powderhorn, cottonwood, half round, beauty, blue creek and these are to name a few - there are MANY

Do you think that it would be stupid to name then after the bays???

Thank you for your honest opinions!

2. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Heck no- I think that's a good idea. Except for half Round- may be subject to misinterpretation.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    LOL - those were the only bays I could think off of the top of my head! :ROFL: :shocked: :ROFL:

4. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Remember when you're choosing your herdname not to make it too long or it'll take up too much space for kid names. Most registries have 30 spaces. Sunset Lake Ranch takes up 17 so over half of your spaces. I was going to use Sweet Gum Minis or Sweet Gum's for the kids names but it was taken so my herdname is SGM. Good luck! Make sure you check with all the registries you want to participate in before you register your name.

5. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Ashley, you are kidding me? AGS told me I couldn't use initals for my herdname? We are Rocky Ridge Farm, and RRF was taken so I made our herd initials RRRF (one R is for our last name), so I thought I could use RRRF_ _ _ etc. for the kids names but they told me no?

6. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Oops sorry Ashley, I think they Bay names are a great idea, btw. I read a book (re: Llamas), by a lady that named her llamas after cities/towns in the state they lived in...I think it was Vermont. I'm still trying to think of a theme for us...so far we haven't been very creative. :sigh:

7. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Yes you can use initials but you have to be sure they're not taken.

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Also, AGS will not let you use herd names that are similiar to one that is already registered to someone else. So that is probobly why they are not allowing the initials that you requested.

I will put a list together of all the names of the bays so that you can look at them.

Right now I am registered on my AGS "certificate" as Sunset Lake Ranch which is 17 letters, but I am going to have it reduced to Sunset Lake because I didn't know when I did it that I would have Ranch on there. I also am going to check with NDGA and see if it is taken there, as I think that I am going to try and double register my herd - do you think that that is wise??

9. hornless

hornless New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I would double register with AGS amd ADGA, you can show with ADGA too as well as AGS. NDGA is not really taken seriously, at least here, and they have fewer shows that AGS/ADGA. I think of them as the pet registry as they have wether/dry doe classes and many breeders breed for just color there. You don't really get much from them like AGS or ADGA.

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Thank you for the info! I will look into the other then!!!

Working on compiling the bay names for you all to review!!

11. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Ok - here are the names of the bays on the lake that I live on. Now some of these definately will not be used but wanted to list them all.

Wolf Lodge
    Beauty (for the prettiest doeling that I will keep)
    Moscow
    Squaw
    Echo (doeling??)
    Gotham (my bay) (If I keep a buckling)
    Turner
    Carlin (If I get a goofy little one - this will be the name - this is the "Party" bay!)
    Martin
    Black
    Half Round
    Powderhorn (for a white kid??)
    Bell
    O'Gara
    Carey
    Browns
    Fuller
    Lowmeister (maybe a tiny buckling - LOL!)
    Vleland
    Little Cottonwood
    Cottonwood (a white one??)
    Aberdeen Lodge
    Hazelgate
    Windy (really like this one!)
    Mud (maybe for a dark buckskin buckling??)
    Rockford (For a Boer buckling ??)
    Black Rock (If I have a pure black boy)
    Crescent
    Decardo
    Mica (light buckskin??)
    Swede
    Kid Island
    Casco

Let me know what ones you like. I put a few notes next to some. I am thinking I will probobly have 7 - 10 registered kids this summer, 2 - 4 pygmy/nigerians, 2-4 Boer X, and God only knows how many lambs - but I don't think I am going to name my food - LOL!

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I think you could be very creative with those names. I would have a lot of fun. I say YES go for it. I can not wait to see what you com up with.

13. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Sunset lake Mud? Maybe not :ROFL:

14. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    you know that just really does not sound very nice, huh!!! :ROFL: :ROFL:

I guess maybe I can use Mudd on one of the nonregistered babies that won't have the Sunset Lake in front of it!!!

Good point Di!!

15. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Oops forgot the extra d, sorry, for some reason that just made me giggle like a school girl, I'm still :slapfloor:

Thanks I needed that, stupid fox just stole another chicken. My sons are coming this weekend, they are hunters (we are not), so they are going to try to get it.

16. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    sorry that you are loosing your chickens.... hey while we are talking about it - do you ever worry about owls or large hawks stealing the chickens also?

17. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Ha! We were out back one day and I saw a large hawk "dive bomb" the chickens, I think it was trying to get them to fly, easier to pick them off in the air, I'm told. But, they stuck to the ground and of course I yelled and it didn't come back. I think we lost one, early on, to a bird by I didn't see it...just found a wing. We were pretty lucky for awhile. The chickens are in a large (12'x20') chicken house at night. It has an outdoor fenced "yard", that I added a "plastic" mesh cover. I hate to keep them in, they like to get out, I like them out, cuts down on the bugs. But, I may have to keep keep them "under cover" to keep them alive! Stupid fox. :hair:

18. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Well I guess I should probobly get it all arranged to lock them up at night then. I was kind of hoping to just get a couple chickens and put them in the pen and see how they do before buying a whole flock. I have 10 foot fences, and I don't think my barn cat would go after them as he thinks he is a goat - eats hay with them, grains with them, sleeps with them, and follows me like a dog - LOL!

But I may have to wait till the coup is built :(

19. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    I'm thinking of going with Redneck names for this next kidding season. Or maybe a flower theme since I have a Kalla Lilly. And I can also continue with dancing names as I have a doe named Cha Cha. Cha Cha and Scrumptious are my only does that are not creme colored :).

20. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    This was years ago

I was sitting milking my does and I had this young pet rooster (raise by his foster mom my personal pet banty chicken who lived in the goatshed, so he was kind of special. anyway..) and he was outside the goatpen. I hear this commotion and I see this white bird, LARGE white bird trying to grab him. I Jumped up and started screaming and crying and I burst through the gate and the white bird, LARGE white bird when soaring back up into the sky. It was HUGE. Never did figure out what kind of bird it was. Never seen one like it since. Anyway it ddin't get my chicken, but the poor thing walked with his wing down to the ground for quite some time that I was convinced it was broken. But nope it wasn't and eventually he was able to use it properly. Only to months later be killed by some other wild bird (quite possibly a screach owl) who decapitated him one night :tears: :GAAH: