Stupid Weather!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by nesluopetan, Feb 19, 2010.

1. nesluopetan

nesluopetan New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Utah
    It has been so nice for the past week.. All the snow has melted.. Babies are loving the good weather, running around the yard, etc.. Well right now it's starting to snow again.. Big time. These weather changes must be hard on the goats. I am going to make 2 PVC feeders today.. one for baking soda and one for minerals. I will install them inside the stables. What brand / kind of minerals should I buy for them? So they have access 24/7? i have a cal ranch and IFA by my house so they should have what I Need.

Anything else I should buy why I am there? I have never given them minerals before and I realized from being on this site I need too. They have had a mineral block and they lick it sometimes but not very often. Why I am at the store if there is anything else I should be giving them to eat, medicine, minerals, etc please let me know so I can buy it all.. I just don't want to forget something important that I should be doing. I give them some starter grain every once in awhile as a treat.. they aboslutely love it.. I heard your not supposed to give goats lots of grain, is this true? The grain I am giving them is really soft stuff.. I can't remember the exact name but it came in a 50 lb bag.. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Nathan

2. MsScamp

MsScamp New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Wyoming

3. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Yep... our weather is turning yuck too.... 50 mph winds right now. :(

I feed Sweetlix Meat Maker loose minerals free choice.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Find out what kind of minerals are available to you and get something with copper in it. Mine has 350 ppm for copper and 32ppm selenium

I like this and it works well but a lot of places dont carry it -- its called Top Choice Goat Mineral by Southern States.

A cattle mineral is a good replacement if you cant get goat minerals.

Yes all minerals are left out free choice 24/7 This way they can eat what they need when they need it

you have wethers so feeding them grain as a treat is just best.

I suggest you look into getting Ammonium Chloride to have on hand. http://hoeggergoatsupply.com/xcart/home.php carries it fairly cheep and its worth the money. What is this use for? for when a goat gets Urinary Calculi - UC = Urinary Stones. YOu can mix this into their minerals as well.

If you get the Top Choice mineral though note it already has AC in it.

5. nesluopetan

nesluopetan New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Utah
    k thanks i didn't make it tonight so I will head there tomorrow and look for the stuff you recommended. thanks..

6. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

I order the golden blend minerals from hoegger supply. My goats love it and are in great condition.