The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice on subclinical staph? mastitis. I bought a doe a couple months ago with a slightly lopsided udder, didn't think much of it at the time. She came from a reputable breeder and had just tested negative for CAE. Over the past couple months her udder has gotten more lopsided, in fact, the one side has almost completely dried up. I decided to test her yesterday with Dr. Naylor Mastitis Indicators test cards that I had on hand. The side that is almost dried up turned green, which indicates mastitis. I'm saying it's subclinical because she has no other symptoms...no fever, clumps, blood, red or swollen udder. We don't have a reliable vet in the area, so I need advice on how to treat this? Also, I'm worried about the fact that we have been consuming her milk raw for the past couple months! Will it hurt you? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
10,704 Posts
Dose her up big time with vitamin C and fresh garlic. If you can, you can test her milk, and see exactly what kind of mastitis it is and which chemical would work best. For natural treatment, I recommend Fir Meadow's Udder Blast. I used it, and it helped more than everything else I was trying (chemicals included) combined.

I would not drink her milk if she has mastitis, personally. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I tested her good side and it was fine. We stopped drinking her milk the moment she tested positive. I had been giving it to my 3 and 5 year old raw, so I'm just worried. What type of sickness would mastitis infected milk cause after consumption? It tasted and looked fine when strained.

·
Super Moderator
59,951 Posts
It probably wasn't infected. The 2 halves of the udder are separate compartments. I agree not to drink the milk now that you know but I suspect the milk your children drank was not infected. You could always give them extra vitamin C.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We've been drinking milk from both sides, but we haven't gotten sick, so hopefully all is well. I have been milking both sides, but am getting ready to dry her up, but I of course want to make sure the mastitis is cleared up first. So what should I use to treat her with, Today or Tomorrow? Like I said, I am currently milking both sides, but the infected side only produces a few squirts at this point. Also, should I just treat the infected side, or both as a precautionary?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts