The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen people on here mention giving their does copper bolus before they breed them. I really like that idea because I've heard any kind of deficiancy can cause them problems when their pregnant, but I'm conflicted on whether I should give it or not.

One article and an author my mom likes said you can't overdue copper. But, then doing more research someone else said you can overdue it and the affects can be really bad.. :wallbang: So what is the truth behind copper?

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Well, do your animals need copper? Do they have fish tails, is their coat dull? Do you live in a copper deficient area? Those are the questions you need to ask yourself and figure out. I live in a copper deficient area. I had a doe that had severe copper deficiency, she had a fish tail and she was quite literally turning red. So I copper bolused and what a difference.... She is black, and no fish tail whatsoever:) I think there is such a thing as overdosing however, copper bolus is meant to go down whole (it's a capsule) so it sticks to the "side" somewhere and it is time released. Now getting it down whole well, sometimes that doesn't work so well, but it is still beneficial. Hope this helped...:)

·
Registered
365 Posts
What is Fish tail? and While I give my girls an beef mineral high in copper, my black does are turning rusty. Does that mean there not getting enough copper still? If Im giving them minerals with copper in them ho often should I give copper bolus's? How can you tell if a goat has to much copper?
Thanks
Laura:help::thankU:

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
None of my girls are showing signs of deficiency, but my land was used for growing tobacco years and years ago and tobacco is notorious for sucking up a lot of the minerals and nutrients in the ground. Plus I got a test done last year on the soil and it didn't come back too nice. The soil was deficient in a lot of areas and so far all we've had time to do is arrange for someone to come fertilize everything with some lime.

I'm thinking maybe I can just split the capsule and give them half or a quarter?

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is Fish tail? and While I give my girls an beef mineral high in copper, my black does are turning rusty. Does that mean there not getting enough copper still? If Im giving them minerals with copper in them ho often should I give copper bolus's? How can you tell if a goat has to much copper?
Thanks
Laura:help::thankU:
Fish tail looks like these pics on this thread. http://nigeriandwarfgoats.ning.com/...4125126:Comment:36908&xg_source=msg_com_forum

If your does are turning a rust color they could possibly be deficient. Some people give copper bolus even if they give minerals because they live in a copper deficient area. How often you give it depends on where you live and your does. I'm not sure what the symptoms of too much copper are quiet yet..

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
None of my girls are showing signs of deficiency, but my land was used for growing tobacco years and years ago and tobacco is notorious for sucking up a lot of the minerals and nutrients in the ground. Plus I got a test done last year on the soil and it didn't come back too nice. The soil was deficient in a lot of areas and so far all we've had time to do is arrange for someone to come fertilize everything with some lime. I'm thinking maybe I can just split the capsule and give them half or a quarter?
If you are giving free choice minerals and you don't see any signs, chances are they are good. You might be using a very well balanced mineral and therefore you don't need to bolus. I wouldn't unless I saw the signs.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
What is Fish tail? and While I give my girls an beef mineral high in copper, my black does are turning rusty. Does that mean there not getting enough copper still? If Im giving them minerals with copper in them ho often should I give copper bolus's? How can you tell if a goat has to much copper? Thanks Laura:help::thankU:
Fish tail is at the tip of the tail and the middle has no hair. If your goats are usually black and they are turning a rusty color..., that is another sign. I give pro manna minerals and still need to copper bolus all my goats, I was going for every 4 months, but noticed fish tails at 3 months... I just know what to look for now, and when I see it, I treat it.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you are giving free choice minerals and you don't see any signs, chances are they are good. You might be using a very well balanced mineral and therefore you don't need to bolus. I wouldn't unless I saw the signs.
Thanks for the advice! I won't do it then. I have been using what people say are well balanced minerals. I use Golden Blend from Hoeggers but I just switched to Meat Maker minerals because I heard the content in it was better. I'll just save the bolus for when it's really need then. :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts