Such interesting weather

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by enjoytheride, Jan 27, 2008.

1. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    In the last ten minutes I have watched it go from 45 degress and overcast to having the fog roll in so thick I couldn't see 100 feet to having it rain like crazy through the fog to have it snow and rain (not sleet) simultaniously to having fat flakes of snow coming down so fast it is actually accumulating on the grass and leaves - the temp has dropped a couple of degress and the snow contiues but what can come next? It's still dropping in temperature...... hmmmmm........

Temp has now gone down to 35 degrees and I ran out and moved the potted citrus plants further under the porch because they were getting snow accumulations- now the weather people said nothing about this coming..................

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh boy now that is some strange weather!

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    LOL So much for weather people :p That is strange weather though.

4. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    And 8 inches of snow later- no power. Guess that's what happens when snow lays on trees which have power wires strung on them. The power co said fixed by 5pm- missed that one didn't they. I make fun of that but they are pretty good people so I hope it's on soon.
    I don't think that either snow or power outage is widespread but it's too isolated up here to tell. Can't even see past the trees on myown place.

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    8 inches of snow you didn't know you were getting - boy now that is lovely! :roll:

so are you on a laptop?

6. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    No- I have a back up generator hooked up to the propane tanks because the power goes out so often and for so long. Still off.

But I was wrong about it not being wide spread- the local news came on and they had "unexpected" snow on the beaches. I waited for the weather report as the anchor woman said they would tell us how long the snow would last but when it came on, the weather person thought it was raining not snowing. The only channel carrying local news hires some people I
    think from the mid-west or something by their accents to report weather on the weekends. Bah humbug- if it was local they could have just opened the window and known they were wrong. Maybe the guys here should have called them.

So no power and no idea of how long it's going to be snowing. I filled the goatie water buckets with warm water.

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    LOL well my friend's uncle is a weather man and she told me once that he said there are no windows in the weather room - so that explains quite a bit

8. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Power was off most of the night- came on once causing electronics to beep then off right away again -got up this morning and trudged through the snow to feed and clean out water troughs, etc- no horse de-pooping because it's all buried under the snow but the goats, being wise, stayed to poop in their shelter.
    Finished and went to turn on the generator -I have it off all night because- well why run it when no power is needed- wouldn't turn on -panic- run back to the house to see if maybe utilities are back on- NO!- back out to the generator- important- no electricity no heat- still won't start except on manual. Hmmm........ Back to the house - the powers on. It must have come on and off then on finally while I was trying to figure it out.

Doesn't snow make everything so much easier? Right now it's sun one minute and snow the next.