"Sucked Up" Look. Should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by firelight27, May 1, 2009.

1. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    I am new to goats. My doe has a sort of "sucked in" look to her loin area. Is this normal? You can't tell in photos or from just looking at her unless you are standing right over the top of her. I am sure she was like this when I got her, but I am just now really noticing it. I am a paranoid personality. Lol. Sorry. I worry about all of my animals. I worry about my horses having mysterious problems when I've owned/shown horses for over ten years.

I am thinking its normal anatomy for a goat. She isn't thin. I looked up body scores for goats, and she has fat in all the places she should. Also, how much water do your goats generally drink? It doesn't seem like her water buckets ever diminish, but then I put fresh water in every day and she has two buckets on each end of her pen.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    She looks like a nigerian dwarf which is a dairy goat. The "sucked in" look is part of her dairy structure.

unless you can feel every rib on her sides then she isnt underweight.

Goodness talk about being worried and paranoid about goats --- talk to RunAround. I call her all the time worrying over something :roll: "they are eating all the time" hours later "oh they stopped eating, I wonder if they are getting enough" :GAAH:

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yep totally normal!

4. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Oh good. Lol. I kept thinking, "It HAS to be normal because they don't have any meat there, just a backbone and internal organs." In my head, it made sense, but I guess I convinced myself it was more sucked in than it was before. I am SO paranoid. When I go see my horses I find myself looking at their hooves and obsessing over if they are too long, too angled, or too flared and stress about how I need to fix them immediately. (Not that not being perfectly trimmed will make their legs snap off, especially for a few days.)

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    :ROFL:

6. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Deep breath... in "every one if fine" out, "their legs will not drop off tomorrow", in "dairy goats are not supposed to look fat"

Just kidding but every once in awhile take a deep breath.

I know how you feel. I don't think that there anything funnier than a bunch of horse people watch a horse run around, :horse:
    "He looks off in his front left leg, no his right, no his left"
    "I think it is a rear leg"
    "He looks like his stifle is stiff"
    "No I think it looks like . . . ."

The only thing funnier is dog people doing it at an agility trial. Especially while they look at my weiner dog who tried to lick his pee pee and run at the same time when he is nervous.

Your girl is beautiful and looks just perfect :wink:

7. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I am sooooo happy to know I'm not the only WORRY WART :worried: ! I drive my husband crazy over our pets :GAAH: , but they can't tell you when something isn't right. I was doing the exact same thing last week standing over my goats (I even took pics to compare) thinking one was thin, but what I came to realize was he was just right and his brother is toooooo fat!

8. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    :slapfloor: