The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My goat has lice and its the first time I see them but I know its a sucking lice, can anyone please tell me what to do si I get ride of thoes lice.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
I had a gal at a show tell me that sulfur was the best thing to get rid of lice. She does everything all natural so doesn't want to use the chemical dusts. She said you just take the powdered sulfur and put it on the goat and the lice will be gone. You do also need to delouse their shed/bedding area as lice are usually in there also especially if you have hay/straw down as bedding.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had a gal at a show tell me that sulfur was the best thing to get rid of lice. She does everything all natural so doesn't want to use the chemical dusts. She said you just take the powdered sulfur and put it on the goat and the lice will be gone. You do also need to delouse their shed/bedding area as lice are usually in there also especially if you have hay/straw down as bedding.
I have also had good results on a couple of does using diatomaceous earth, rubbed into the coat.

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
with sucking lice you need injected Ivomec...1 cc per 40# sub Q 3 times a week a part...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Lice

Can you see lice? I have some that are scratching but I don't see anything in the fur.I also have a little guy that has a terrible cough. He has had penicillin but it really didn't help. Could it be caused by worms?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its hard to see them but try to see in the areas that drandruff is alot some pepole need a magnfying glass but if u doent ha ve some u can see a small red or yellow dot u can pick it op and put it on a light and see it well then

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
Lots of options, haha! Equisect is a natural based horse spray that I have found incredibly effective. It seems to kill lice AND the eggs it comes to contact with. I spray on a brush, scrub down to the skin, repeat in a week if needed. Took care of some severe infestations this way.

·
11,090 Posts
Can you see lice? I have some that are scratching but I don't see anything in the fur.I also have a little guy that has a terrible cough. He has had penicillin but it really didn't help. Could it be caused by worms?
bestpet, I would make your own topic, so you can get more replies for your situation. :) Usually you see lice ... they are the size of hay seeds with red heads. Their eggs are attached to the hair.

Does your little man have a fever? Fever could be pneumonia, if no fever, you could be dealing with lung worms.

·
Registered
38 Posts
bestpet, I would make your own topic, so you can get more replies for your situation. :) Usually you see lice ... they are the size of hay seeds with red heads. Their eggs are attached to the hair.

Does your little man have a fever? Fever could be pneumonia, if no fever, you could be dealing with lung worms.
He doesn't have a fever, he is very stunted (his mom was killed by dogs) his brother is normal size for a four month old but this little boy struggles. I made his some sweaters and at night I shine a heat lite in the barn. Some days he doesn't want to eat much and some days he has a good apatite. How do you treat lung worms?
My neighbor is who really raises goats, but if I see any in distress that need extra attention, I go get them. I now have 4 they are great pets, but I have a lot to learn.
I am new to this website and new to being a goat owner --- thanks for any advise you can share

·
11,090 Posts
He doesn't have a fever, he is very stunted (his mom was killed by dogs) his brother is normal size for a four month old but this little boy struggles. I made his some sweaters and at night I shine a heat lite in the barn. Some days he doesn't want to eat much and some days he has a good apatite. How do you treat lung worms?
My neighbor is who really raises goats, but if I see any in distress that need extra attention, I go get them. I now have 4 they are great pets, but I have a lot to learn.
I am new to this website and new to being a goat owner --- thanks for any advise you can share
Hmm, poor baby. Can you run a fecal on him? Fecals are usually pretty affordable and can tell you what you're dealing with. But, lungworms don't always show up on fecal. Lungworms can be tough, I think you treat with ivermectin, but I'm unsure on the exact dose. Hopefully someone on here will know that.

He could also have coccidia, which causes stunted growth. Fecal will tell you that, be sure to specify to the vet that you want to check for cocci too -- sometimes they take longer to show up on the slide.

What color are his eyelids?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hmm, poor baby. Can you run a fecal on him? Fecals are usually pretty affordable and can tell you what you're dealing with. But, lungworms don't always show up on fecal. Lungworms can be tough, I think you treat with ivermectin, but I'm unsure on the exact dose. Hopefully someone on here will know that.

He could also have coccidia, which causes stunted growth. Fecal will tell you that, be sure to specify to the vet that you want to check for cocci too -- sometimes they take longer to show up on the slide.

What color are his eyelids?
His eyelids are pale. Friday I am going to locate a Vet to do the fecal. I live in Georgia and the heat and humidity in the summer is so very hard on the little ones, they don't get a good start for their little life. Thanks for your info, I really appreciate your experience.

·
11,090 Posts
His eyelids are pale. Friday I am going to locate a Vet to do the fecal. I live in Georgia and the heat and humidity in the summer is so very hard on the little ones, they don't get a good start for their little life. Thanks for your info, I really appreciate your experience.
Fecal will be great, sounds like he may need worming. No problem! :thumb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts