The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Goat Crazy!
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Miss Mindy has some weird bald patches on her sides. They appeared very suddenly. One looks as if someone took a razor to her and shaved a swath, then quit. The skin looks healthy and she's in no apparent pain.

The mosquitoes here have been merciless. Is she just rubbing? (If so, I haven't seen her doing it, though I do see the other girls rubbing on the fence).

Is there anything I shuld look for to see if it's something other than rubbing? (Lice, etc.)

Also, I have a natural spray for the skeeters, but it is only mildly helpful. Any recommendations?

·
Super Moderator
58,123 Posts
Does she have horns? Could she have rubbed them? I would look for lice. You may want to try some chemical fly sprays.

·
Goat Crazy!
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Just saw someone elses post and they put up pics. (I can't load pics right now because my computer is ANCIENT.) Her pics looked like Mindy's bald patches. Someone said it looked like mange. I'm going to treat it as such.

She's been getting zinc every morning. And my girls seem good on copper. Is mange contageous? Should I treat her pen mates too?

·
Goat Crazy!
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah, and I have no other shed/pen to move my goats to. How do I treat the pen and their stall? I did spread a pretty heavy dusting of DE today... However, it has been so wet and muddy that it is super hard to rake things out the way I usually like them.

Lastly, my daughters and I hug ALL OVER our goats. How do we know if WE have mange??????

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
unfortunately, only way to know if it's mange or not is to do a skin scraping and look under the microscope. and, correct me if i'm wrong, there's one mange that's contagious, and one that isn't.

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
A lot of goats seem to get bald patches this time of year. I doubt it is mange; my guess is most of it is due to summer shedding and maybe a small copper or selenium deficiency.
I think mange usually hits in the winter. But if the symptoms seem to match up with mange, go with your gut feeling. :)

According to Tennessee Meat Goats, "Human reaction to these mites is normally limited to superficial skin irritation which usually clears up on its own. Sometimes topical anti-itch medications are needed."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts