The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got our first goats in December. We now have 20. I am in no way skilled at this, but am trying to learn quickly. We recently (June 18th) lost a twin & had a few more sick & it was confirmed that the twin & one more had Coccidiosis. We treated the entire herd & they have seemed to do much better. We have lost several & didn't know why, until the Coccidiosis diagnosis was made. that seemed to answer alot of questions. We completely cleaned the shelters & pens to try to help the situation. Today, the mother of the twins, ate as usual, & while I was adding fresh water, she laid down, turned her head back once, cried once & died. This all happened in less than 15 minutes. She appeared fine earlier today. Any ideas as to what could have happened? I've never seen anything like this.

·
Registered
355 Posts
What are you feeding them exactly and how much?
Any big bellies? Kicking at their bellies?
Any limping goats? Is your ground solid dry or ag. flooded?
How many acres do you have these 20 goats on? Are they constantly fighting?
Do you have anything out ... antifreeze, foam covered pipes, insulation of any kind?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sudden death of mother goat

They are grazing on 10+ acres, with the bucks & does separated. It is extremely dry here, but they do have room to forage. I feed the does limited grain & hay daily. The bucks forage & get hay daily. I have found nothing in their area that should not be there (antifreeze, etc.). We have gotten the majority of our goats from other breeders in our area. Some were expecting when we got them, so our herd was increased by a few there. We have two does that are a little aggressive, but not overly so. We have one that has a swollen belly. I've wormed all of them consistently since we've gotten them. One buck has had a problem with urinary calculi, but he is much better. I haven't noticed any leg kicks or any indication of pain in any of them. They have pink gums and their eyelids look good.

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
Oh I very sorry....perhaps after such a battle she was anemic..I would check everyone lower inner eye lids here is alink to show you how and a anemia chart to grade them by...you can click the print button on the upper right of the chart to copy it..I take my chart out with me when I need to check..
http://goat-link.com/content/view/110/107/#.Ud9MpWSDTL8

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
ok..guess we posted about the same time...eye look good so not anemia..perhaps pneumonia...
per tennesseemeatgoats
The most most difficult to detect and quickest-to-kill type of pneumonia is Interstitial Pneumonia. Death can occur in 12 hours or less. Example: At night the goat appears healthy, but in the morning it is down and dying. No runny nose and no fever -- . just a goat that is off-feed, may or may not occasionally cough, and standing away from the herd because fluids are building up in the lungs (not sitting or laying down, unless it is already at death's door), but may not appear to be seriously ill. The only clear diagnostic symptom is high fever and it may not be present when you discover the sick goat. High fever peaks quickly and then body temperature rapidly drops below normal, misleading the producer into diagnosing the problem as ruminal. Sub-normal body temperature is often a sign of ruminal problems. Temperatures under 100*F should be considered critical, regardless of the cause of the illness.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sudden death of mother goat

I didn't find any bites on her. No bleeding. No visible outward causes. She seemed fine, eating along side her baby & the others. . .then down & gone. The others look fine. Her baby is confused at the moment & "calling" for her. Other than what we saw happen, nothing else is out of the ordinary.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
i'm so sorry for your loss.

unfortunately, the only way to know what happened is to get a necropsy.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I don't know if I missed it. What did you use to treat for the Cocci?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Corid solution was added to the drinking water for 5 days to treat the coccidiosis. Then the waterers were rinsed thoroughly so they wouldn't have "overload". All that were showing signs of it cleared up & showed great improvement.

The baby is doing very well. She cried the first night, but I have to hand it to my other girls out there. They have done a great job of helping to take care of her.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts