The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!

I've been looking for doelings for quite some time and finally managed to snag a great deal on a family of 2 milkers & 3 doelings! It's still kind of shocking that we went for it..from 0 to 5 in 1 day lol. :crazy:

We now have a full Alpine mama who birthed an alpine/nubian doe a while back. They both kidded this past May: The full Alpine kidded 2 alpine/nubian crosses and the alpine/nubian mama kidded 1 cross. So for clarity:

1. Full alpine - "Grandma"
2. Grandma's grown-up alpine/nubian cross kid: "Mama"
3. & 4. Grandma's next 2 kids -- born late May 2013, brownish
5. Mama's 1st kid -- born late May 2013, black & white

Anyway, here're some pics and questions below! Your opinions would be appreciated! Do you think we did okay?

Grandma:

Mama:

Doelings:

Grandma's kids:

Mama's kid:

QUESTIONS:
1. Grandma's latest two doelings (brownish color) both have loose scab-type things on their backs...is this a major issue or normal? Looks like this when we take them out:

2. My dad's doubting that the crosses will be good milkers since their kinda slim and their hind quarters are closer together than the alpines...can anyone vouch for their milk-abilities before we find out first hand?

3. also, what do you think would've been a good deal for all 5?
I'll reveal what we paid in a bit :D

we brought them home last night, so today we're cleaning them up and preparing their homes and trying to catch up with everthing...sigh, that's what we get for getting the goats BEFORE prepping the shelters! :eek:

·
Super Moderator
58,855 Posts
Could be from lice or mites. I would probably Ivomec them. Have they had any shots or been dewormed?

Unless you know their milking history, it is impossible to determine if they will be good milkers or not.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I think they're all very pretty. :) Hard to tell how MUCH they will produce, but the two grown does look to have nice sized teats for hand milking.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Congrats! They are cute little things. I agree with the lice/mites possibility. Make sure they are not anemic by checking their eyelids. Here is a chart.

I wouldn't judge their milking potential from being thin, they are babes after all. how much milk are you getting from Grandma and Mama? That plus any info about the milk of the kids' sire's dam will tell you a lot.

·
Registered
355 Posts
awww they are sweeties.. I'm not going to give my judgement on price because I know I've made some heartfelt money mistakes and some have turned out perfect. Money is the strange one really, you can buy percentage or even better and come out a huge loser.

Worm them fast, the stress can bring out a bad worm load and lice/mites.

You can't really tell a good milker until they are yours to examine on a good feeding schedule and if they have parasites etc.

Good job and have lots of fun!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your replies, everyone. I'm trying to research the worming/medication stuff before I give it to them...

The alpine (grandma) milks great, but we can barely get any milk out of the mama/cross...

·
1,524 Posts
They probably won't be show quality, but they look like nice homestead milkers.

Are the kids still feeding from Mom? Where the previous owners milking them twice a day, every day? That could be why she doesn't have as much. A lot of issues effect milk production, feed, worms, genetics, stage of lactation, how often they have been milked to name a few.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts