The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Well to say our first experience as dairy goat owners has been interesting is an understatement.
-First time mom n owners with breached baby (all went well in the end) Two kids (Buck n Doe)
-Rejects the doe after a few days. She lets her nurse ONLY if on the milk stand.
-Gets congested udder (two weeks to heal now all is well...still hates being milked)

Anyway, long story short, Sugar is not feeling this milking/mom thing at all. While she has practically tap dances on the stand. Won't jump up we have to lift her which is when our sneaky Minty the half bottle baby sneaks in for long drinks. She is hobbled of course but still dances nor won't eat while being milked. We are like "ha too bad". Giving about half a quart to a quart on one side. Buck eating well. Minty is doing great but does seem separate from the others except her brother. I feel bad as he will be sold as soon as they are weaned. Gus the wether hates it all as he can't get the yummies.

Hm, we hope to do much better training Minty for the stand. She already jumps up for her bottle. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would be more concerned that she might have a minor case of mastitis, it isn't normal for a doe to randomly reject a kid after they have bonded or fight that much if you are milking her regularly. It might be that she just hasn't had enough work done to train younger. Also make sure your hands are nice and warm before trying to milk, I had one doe that would stand perfectly to milk most of the time but if my fingers were even a bit too cold she would give a bucking bull a run for its money.

·
8,187 Posts
When you milk, are you pulling on the teats? Some goats really hate that. You probably already know this, but, start at the top of the teat and gently, using each finger, knead the milk out of the test, like squeezing icing out of a cone.

Can you put her on the stand at random times and only let her eat up here? (Give hay in her pen). Try and train her that the stand is not scary or painful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts