suggestions...a bit worried here...update...another ?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by kids-n-peeps, Aug 27, 2010.

1. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    A few days ago, I noticed most of our does making a strange noise - I honestly couldn't tell if it was a sneeze or a cough . . . they are not in a dusty area and it happened whether eating or not. Tonight I saw some nasal discharge on one doe and had two kids (about 2.5 months old) sneeze on me. I immediately grabbed the thermometer:

- 2 doe kids - temp is 103.7
    - 1 doe kid - temp is 103.4
    - 1 doe kid and the wether kid - temp is 103.1
    - 2 does- 103.1 (one normally runs in the 101 range I know)
    - 1 doe (with the runny nose) - 101.8

Everyone is eating, acting as they typically do, playing, no scours. The temperature this evening was cool & comfortable, so I know outdoor heat was not playing a factor.

I plan to take everyone's temp again in the morning. The 103.4 and above temps concern me . . . I will call the vet out if the temps climb at all. In terms of possibilities, I'm worried about pasturella pneumonia and/or coccidia. Any other thoughts spring to mind? I don't know how much the vet on call will know about goats . . . I believe I should request a nasal swab to look for pasturella pneumonia?

Any advice/thoughts would be appreciated.

2. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Re: suggestions . . . a bit worried here

Could be just a cold going around or allergies. You said that they're all Eating, drinking, active, alert...so I would give them some nutridrench watch closely for any signs of them being "off".

3. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia

:clap: OR :scratch:
    More stumped now. Late last night before bed, I took temps again and they were all 101.8-102.1. Granted they were sleeping (inactive) and out in the cool night. I'll be taking temps again here soon and watching everyone closely. I suppose allergies/a cold could be a possibility. Well, at least that is what I am hoping for.

4. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

Keep an eye on them but I wouldn't get too alarmed yet. Watch their poop--if they have normal poop, eating fine & staying active I wouldn't get too worried.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I agree.... it is just a cough do to cold...no worries as of now....

If the temp of the day was hot... then it could effect the temps of the goats...they can be slightly higher...if you take it ...when it is hot out....in the morning... it is cooler and they are rested not heated up from going around browsing..... it is normal... :wink:

6. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia

The first time I took their temps, it wasn't hot outside, but it's possible they were all playing or frolicking before we came out :wink:

I did take their temps again this a.m. and they were all between 101.5 and 102.6, so I do feel better. I don't like this weird sneeze they are doing and the runny nose is bothersome to me - I guess I'm lucky in that we've never had a goat get a cold before. So . . . I will just watch them closely . . . if it continues for a while, I will get a nasal swab done. And poor goats, well, they are probably going to get used to the thermometer until my worries go away :p

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

It is OK to worry... we all do... :wink: .... if they start acting off...take their temp..... that will let us know... if they became ill........with colds.... they have to ride it out.... like we do.... :hug:

8. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia

An update:

Even though stools looked normal and behavior was "normal", I took fecal samples in this week and moderate coccidia was present in kids (12 wks) and adults. We started treatment with Sulmet immediately.

I have been taking temps daily. Daytime air temps have been mid-90s. The goats' temps are normal first thing in the a.m. and late in the evening, but other times of day, some go as high as 104. I've been trying to not get too alarmed b/c it's so hot outside, but I also don't want to overlook something.

Today an adult goat happened to sneeze in front of me and large amounts of tinted snot came out of her nose which she promptly licked up.

I see that Sulmet can treat some types of bacterial pneumonia and respiratory disease in cattle . . . anyone know if it helps goats?

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: suggestions . . . a bit worried here. . . update

if you dont see results for the respiratory issues after the Sulmet they may need a stronger antibiotic.

temp of 104 during the day isnt bad as long as the temps go down as the temps go down.

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I agree........ :thumb:

11. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia

Sounds good . . . I'm hoping the Sulmet (using for coccidia) helps with the respiratory issues. If not, I have some oxytetracycline on hand . . . I read somewhere, though, that it can cause issues with bone growth in kids?? Maybe I should have an additional antibiotic that I keep on hand - Tylan 200 maybe? Is that a good one?

12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

I've never used any other antibiotic but Pen G, I don't have a need to use it often but when I do it has worked to help with high temps and an upper respiratory issue with my buck.

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

nope wont hurt bone growth. Only possibility is that the baby teeth of unborn kids might come out yellow but nothing major they fall out as they get new ones (like human kids)

14. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia

Okay. That clears up some confusion for me. Last antibiotic question . . . I read (somewhere) that oxytetracycline doesn't work if the kids are nursing - that milk makes it ineffective? I'm not even sure if that is accurate, but wanted to check here in the event I never DO have to use it on kids. My current kids are mainly eating on their own, but a few times a day some of them still go to mom for a quick feed.

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have never heard that the milk will interfere with the effectiveness of oxytetracycline.

Im trying to think if I have ever used it on kids who were nursing but I cant say for sure. I do try to use penicillin on kids just because it stings less.

16. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Not positive here but I've also read that certain antibiotics shouldn't be used when DiMethox or Albon are used.

17. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    ok - thanks for the heads-up, Liz -- is the PenG safe for kids even if on Sulmet?

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    where did you read that Liz? I am not familiar with such things.

19. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Pen G is safe for use with Sulmet, I'd have to go back through the reading I've done Stacey but I'm pretty sure I did come across a warning as to certain antibiotics with the sulfa's.

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well it would be good to know -- because I wouldnt want to injury anyone with kindness you know.

I havent had an need to do both at the same time but you never know