Suggestions on picking out a kid

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by moday, Apr 1, 2008.

1. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    I'm going to see the breeder that we got two kids from last year, and this spring we are getting one more. They are 50-75 % Boer and the remaining Alpine. I'm looking for any advice on what to look for when picking out a goat. I recall last year that I didn't want the parrott mouth and isn't their something about the number of udders, two vs four and such.

Any addl advice is appreciated. We are going to want to take them to fairs with our kids, so I want to make sure things are ok. I hope to stop there on Sunday and pick out another doe to round out the herd.

Thanks in advance!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    with boers you can have 4 teats but two is the norm.

As to what to look for.

Dont' just look at teh does but look at the whole herd for overall health. YOu want to see bright eyes, no snotty noses and good coats, ones that are not rough. They should be well muscled and not looking to thin. If the goat is limping, pass on it.

3. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    also since you are looking at meat type kids you'll want to see lots of good muscles. :)

4. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    I like long deep bodies and straight legs, not post-leg, but so that no toes point out or hocks point in. That really bugs me. But them again, I know not a thing about boers, I raise dairy. :) Hope you get a goodun. If you are picking a doe, I would look and the dam and the sire's dam to be sure you get one with a nice udder, no saggy baggies. :)

5. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    What do you guys mean by making sure it has a nice udder, and no saggy-ness?

I thought it's normal for an udder to hang low, particularly if the mother just had kids.

Please explain if possible.

Thanks

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you want the udder to be attached with a wide area then not. THis means a great support for a larger bag

7. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Well, googled images to find a pict of a bad udder and darned it I can't find one now! Here is what I found after a long search:
    http://www.allgoats.com/images/cae.jpg

[​IMG]

If you search udder attachments, you will find lots of nice ones that people would like to show off. So, you have plenty of what good looks like to compare against.

Too bad I couldn't find a bad example to show you, there are many out there, but folks just don't seem to want to offer them for viewing, lol. Does anyone have one they can post? I remember one from gw.

site for selecting breeding stock:
    http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... %26hl%3Den