Suggestions on what to breed my Lamancha girls to...

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Kfin, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Kfin

Kfin New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Canyon, TX
    Hello again. I had posted a while back that we had recently just purchased three Goats. I was the one that had purchased a doe that was bred and a doeling. But the Doe wound up having mastitis and was not bred, so we took her back and got two more doelings.

Well we LOVE these three girls. Padme is sooo sweet, she just loves attention, and she is my stick tight, I can not go anywhere without her right by my side.

So I am going to breed two of them this year, but I am trying to decide what to do, There is a breeder of LaMancha's here in town that has several really nice bucks to choose from here is his link http://cashfarmslamanchas.com/new_page_2.htm Do any of you like any of his bucks. You can't see pictures (darn) but the pedigrees.

My second options is to outcross on some nice Nigerian Dwarf Bucks and get some Mini Lamanchas. I am torn on what I want to do. Do the Nigerian Lamanchas make good crosses?

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'm not as educated with the standard dairy peds as I am with the ND...But if you are thinking of starting your own herd of "Mini Manchas", Ashley Capps of Sweet Gum Minis has a few Mini Manchas in her herd of ND you can take a look at. http://www.sweetgumminis.com/

They are not as popular as Mini Nubians, at least from what I've seen as far as breeders go but it would depend on what your goals are...wether you just want the milk from your does and be able to sell a few kids to help cover management expenses or to better your does with their kids and a sire that will improve those kids.

3. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    I'd stay with the standards-but that's just because I tend to think they are easier to sell, but then again the market may be good for them in your area. Plus you have some pretty good pedigrees going to with the bucks you have to choose from. I have a Cayenne grand daughter who I absolutely love. I got to see Cayenne once and even as an aged doe she was still pretty darn nice.

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    All of their bucks have awesome lines I think you really can't go wrong :) I personally like Pierre's lines the best though ;)

5. Kfin

Kfin New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Canyon, TX
    Ok great thanks. That does help me a lot. I am getting my girls papers in the mail this week and would like to get your thoughts on their pedigrees. Also I will try and get some new pictures of them this afternoon and post those when I get the papers also.