The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an idea to buy billys/Wethers this spring and graze them through the summer to sell in the fall (like people do steers) is this a good idea? Advice? Would billys or wethers grow better on grass?

Caleb, Liptrap Livestock

·
Registered
215 Posts
If you have a lot of foliage....I haven't had goats very long, but I'm very observant and learn quickly.

I haven't fed my goats nothing but foliage, and grass (no hay, no grain)and they are fat as pigs. They all look like they are expecting, even my 5 month olds.

I don't know about feeding grass only.

Since it's November however, I will start putting out hay.

I have one goat nursing her babies, and she gets grain once a day.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All my does get hay and grain now that its colder and they are about to kid but during the summer they eat grass and very little grain. I know around here goat prices are right high so thought I could do a group of them like steers.

Caleb, Liptrap Livestock

·
Super Moderator
59,959 Posts
You can always try it and see how it goes if you have a lot of pasture for them. Whether you leave them intact or not depends on if you have a large ethnic population and when you would be selling them. There is actually a lot more to it.

·
Super Moderator
59,959 Posts
Both growth and who to market to will make a difference. If you market to the ethnic group, you need to know what they want. If you just take to auction, then they need to be a certain weight. I don't know a lot about it but just know enough to know that there is a lot to research before selling meat goats.

·
Super Moderator
59,959 Posts
Whatever will get you the most money. Finding out who your buyers will be will dictate intact or not. I would go to an auction or two around your area. I would also look up the ethnic holidays and watch Craigslist.

·
Banned
5,939 Posts

·
2,180 Posts
Your best bet is to call your group of auctions and get a print out of the year's results for sales. Talk with the ring side people and find your customers, your ideal sale dates, and your ideal sale weights as well. I would take the 5 closest sale rings and pick one.

Milk fat kids between 3-6 months are good prices here. As well as fat adults in good health. Typically fall is the best time in my area, as well as winter. Spring isn't the best as the auctions are flooded with excess dairy bucklings, and summertime is a great time to sell on CL here. Especially lactating does and weaned kids.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,805 Posts
They say once a buck hits the ability to rut/mate, it changes the flavor of the meat. Much like a deer in milk. A lot of hormones that can make the meat taste different. As with cows, its best to castrate meat stock young. Unless as Crazy said someone actually wants them intact.

As for grazing them from spring to fall, that is exactly how you are suppose to do it for max profit. Just need to make sure you dont have to many vs available feed. Check market stock reports in your area to get an idea of how much to buy for vs. how much you are going to be able to sale for.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts