The Goat Spot Forum banner

Summertime heat

1K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  GoatGirlyGirl 
#1 ·
So next week I'm going to visit my dad's house in Houston. And it is REALLY humid there there are no plugs in the barn for a fan. Except for maybe one but I would need a lloonngg power cord. The only thing I could do would be,get a wet rag or an Icepack. Maybe I can bring her to where that power cord iss .... I. Don't know what should I do?

#3 ·
If she is going to be locked up, then you do need a fan. I have electric in my goat area so I have never had to worry about other methods. If you can get a fan and make sure that there is some fresh air coming into her area that should help. Make sure she has plenty of water to drink. Even give her a bucket of regular water and a bucket of water with electrolytes in it.

#4 ·
If she is going to be locked up, then you do need a fan. I have electric in my goat area so I have never had to worry about other methods. If you can get a fan and make sure that there is some fresh air coming into her area that should help. Make sure she has plenty of water to drink. Even give her a bucket of regular water and a bucket of water with electrolytes in it.
She will definitely NOT be locked up all day she will be walked with her lamb friends.And I guess I'm gonna have to figure something out then.... I think there is only one plug in the WHOLE barn! Which has 5 horses living in it and now a goat! This is so stressful....

#10 ·
Today it went from 95 (yesterday) to 108 and I see thunder clouds so that is a big difference in just one day. My goats are not happy but doing ok. One thing I did do is make sure I kept COLD water out for them since it turns warm fast. Shade trees are the best thing for them so I myself would keep out of the barn in where ever there is a good shade tree.

#13 ·
Today it went from 95 (yesterday) to 108 and I see thunder clouds so that is a big difference in just one day. My goats are not happy but doing ok. One thing I did do is make sure I kept COLD water out for them since it turns warm fast. Shade trees are the best thing for them so I myself would keep out of the barn in where ever there is a good shade tree.
Ok thanks I will probably wash her Down and give her done ice water.

#14 ·
I think she will be just fine as long as she has shade. The humidity has actually been alot lower than normal for the past few days. Goodluck to you and your goat!

#16 ·
What I do for my goats (it's been 105 and dry here), brush them every day because they might shed a bit and it helps them be more comfortable. Make sure they have good cold water and a mineral lick. You can wet their ears or even their bellies and chests to help them cool off, too. Hope that helps! Try not to worry about it too much. ;)

#17 ·
What I do for my goats (it's been 105 and dry here), brush them every day because they might shed a bit and it helps them be more comfortable. Make sure they have good cold water and a mineral lick. You can wet their ears or even their bellies and chests to help them cool off, too. Hope that helps! Try not to worry about it too much. ;)
Okay thanks so much! Will do!

#18 ·
There are battery operated fans....I used them tons of time when I ran my dogs in agility. They work very well and have rechargeable batteries that last pretty long. Ryobi (sp) has one that is outstanding !
You have to buy the battery charger , but it comes with two batteries that will last you your whole trip .
Good luck and safe trip.

#19 ·
There are battery operated fans....I used them tons of time when I ran my dogs in agility. They work very well and have rechargeable batteries that last pretty long. Ryobi (sp) has one that is outstanding !
You have to buy the battery charger , but it comes with two batteries that will last you your whole trip .
Good luck and safe trip.
Thank you! and yes I was going to get a battery operated fan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.